Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Why doesn't HDD install work like Knoppix on the CD?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1

    Why doesn't HDD install work like Knoppix on the CD?

    I'm pretty new to knoppix/linux so please bear with me.

    Knoppix from the CD works great on my HP Pavilion N3370 notebook. However, when I did a HDD install, my network card is not detected and I don't hear the "Initiating Startup Sequence" sound.

    Is there any way to have the same startup sequence on the HDD as on the CD?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: Why doesn't HDD install work like Knoppix on the CD?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc
    I'm pretty new to knoppix/linux so please bear with me.

    Knoppix from the CD works great on my HP Pavilion N3370 notebook. However, when I did a HDD install, my network card is not detected and I don't hear the "Initiating Startup Sequence" sound.

    Is there any way to have the same startup sequence on the HDD as on the CD?

    Thanks
    After a HD install just run the network configure program (In the knoppix menu). As for the sound, I'm not sure.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Why doesn't HDD install work like Knoppix on the CD?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc
    I'm pretty new to knoppix/linux so please bear with me.

    Knoppix from the CD works great on my HP Pavilion N3370 notebook. However, when I did a HDD install, my network card is not detected and I don't hear the "Initiating Startup Sequence" sound.

    Is there any way to have the same startup sequence on the HDD as on the CD?

    Thanks
    Sound: this depends on what type of hd install you did. The startup sounds are there if you did the Knoppix type install but not if you chose the Debian type install. Not sure about the beginner type install. The Debian type install does not use the same autoconfig script as the Knoppix install.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    Re: Why doesn't HDD install work like Knoppix on the CD?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc
    I'm pretty new to knoppix/linux so please bear with me.

    Knoppix from the CD works great on my HP Pavilion N3370 notebook. However, when I did a HDD install, my network card is not detected and I don't hear the "Initiating Startup Sequence" sound.

    Is there any way to have the same startup sequence on the HDD as on the CD?

    Thanks
    Lets start off with the obvious, the Live CD is read-only, thus, things dont change. When you boot the Live CD, it has to auto-config, and auto-detect, each time you boot it. It also "knows" only of two users; root and knoppix, whereas, after you install, it may have more, or the same, users, to contend with. After you install, you probably will want to have "login" previledges for any, and all, of your users, including the two default ones. This "login" process, adds a few "wrinkles" into the boot sequience that are not a part of the Live CD, which defaults to booting only the "knoppix" user. After you install knoppix, it becomes a "full-fledged" OS, and depending on the install you chose, may disable the auto anything from setting everything up for you each time you boot, this is then left for the Administrator of your system to set up, enable, or disable, any services they deam important to running.

    To get to your sound issue, the boot sequence may have changed, and even though I installed my knoppix with the Debian Style, I get the "do do doo do doo" sound, but not the "initialing system start up sequence" sound any more... The sound snippet is still where all the sound clips are at, but, I dont have a boot sequence sound ability, only the "login" sequence now. I can change the sound that is used in the "login" sequence though.

    I think it was Rickenbackerus [sp] that explained the whole "Live CD and Hard Drive installed" thing the best... After you hard drive install Knoppix to your system, it becomes Debian, I guess this could be different if you choose an install option of Knoppix Style, but, Knoppix is based on the Debian "Sid" release, thus, it is a variant of Debian, none-the-less.

    Hope this helps, at least a little

Similar Threads

  1. My internet does not work after knoppix 3.9 install
    By kazuya1977 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 03:48 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.7 AFU Full Debian install KDE wont work
    By wavetel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-20-2005, 09:55 AM
  3. knoppix-install refuses to work
    By Laen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 03:03 AM
  4. Knoppix HDD install won't work
    By Cryptic_K in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 10:29 AM
  5. DVD Playback doesn't work on recent Knoppix 3.3 install
    By totothehero in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 03:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR

$47.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC picture

Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC

$27.99



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99