Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Connecting to the Internet

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3

    Connecting to the Internet

    Hi!
    How come the only ADSL connection option entails the use of Sagem/Thomson modems?! I use a BeWan with an AOL 5 Mb ADSL connection, and Knoppix doesn't seem to detect it: my modem doesn't even switch on when I boot...
    Is there a solution?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    I don't really understand.....
    Is your modem connected to usb or ethernet?
    If it is an ethernet modem, then there should be no problem.

    What you need to is run netcardconfig first, set a static IP. This is crucial because your networkcard is the lifeline of your system to your modem.
    Unless your modem has a built-in router then you can choose DHCP, only if DHCP is set in that modem-router.
    Then you run the pppoeconfig.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3

    Connecting to the Internet (part 2)

    Hi again!
    First, thanks, Shah, for answering so promptly!
    I forgot to mention the following:
    1) I downloaded Knoppix free of charge, burned it on CD then booted it from it. So far so good...
    2) I'm no computer genius...
    3) My OS in everyday life is (don't laugh!) Windows XP SP2...
    Aside from the fact that I can't access the web under Linux/Knoppix, I love the penguin just fine, and I would really like to solve this problem.
    I'm going to try and adjust the stuff you told me about...
    Don't be surprised to hear from again...
    Cordially
    HT

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    france
    Posts
    20

    Re: Connecting to the Internet (part 2)

    what is your modem's color ? see links from http://rzr.online.fr/q/BeWAN

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Connecting to the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by HornyToad
    How come the only ADSL connection option entails the use of Sagem/Thomson modems?
    That's not at all true. As far as I know Knoppix supports every ADSL modem out there with an ethernet connection. Of course, since many ISPs come up with different hacks to PPPoE and PPPoA, there could be some particular ISP that might give you problems setting up the PPPoE software. But you really shouldn't run the PPPoE software in Knoppix anyway, it is far far better go get an inexpensive router that will protect you with a hardware firewall and let it take care of the PPPoE connection for you, then you need no special setup at all in Knoppix to be on the network and the Internet, it's just there when you boot.

    So my advice is get a router. If your response is that you have a modem that only has a USB connection, then I would say you let your ISP supply you with crap. You should have done your homework before getting DSL and not let them provide you with something that only has closed source drivers available for Microsoft products.

    My first approach would be to fight with the ISP and get a decent ethernet based modem. They may resist it (mine sure did), but if you know what you want and you insist on it you can usually get it (I did). My next suggestion would be to find an alternate ISP that will give you what you want and need. And another suggestion is to find a friend with an old ADSL ethernet based modem that they are no longer using. I have at least two or three friends that are in that position, they had DSL for a few years, then switched to less expensive and faster cable internet services. So their old DSL modems are just gathering dust.

    By the way, I'm on DSL right now and I don't have a Sagem/Thomson modem.

Similar Threads

  1. Connecting To The Internet
    By -=Unstoppable=- in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 10:12 PM
  2. Need help connecting to the internet
    By plasmakills in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 04:56 AM
  3. Connecting to the internet
    By wikid009 in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 01:30 PM
  4. allow connecting the internet
    By P.Enguin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 06:31 PM
  5. connecting to the internet
    By bulio in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 12:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00