Try in a console:
dpkg-reconfigure locales
Check only the languages you need. Click OK
Originally Posted by marat
The goal is to have UTF-8 file names, especially for MP3 files :). I added utf8 segment to the list of languages in knoppix-autoconfig with LANG=en_US.UTF-8 and CHARSET=UTF-8, but results are mixed: Konqueror displays file names correctly, but konsole doesn't, while xterm do. Is it possible to make konsole display proper characters instead of squares (changing the font does not seem to help), or should I switch to xterm? KDE taskbar also doesn't display UTF-8 characters at all, can it be fixed?
XMMS started to display proper characters in songs list and main window after specifying the good font group, but without selecting the font grouping option (first on on a Fonts page) since it brakes everything.
Try in a console:
dpkg-reconfigure locales
Check only the languages you need. Click OK
Originally Posted by marat
Unfortunately it didn't help much, I tried to select languages I need and deselect those I don't need, but File Open window of XMMS still displays file names in ISO-8859-1, and taskbar still doesn't display non-ASCII characters at all, i.e. nothing has changed (yes, I did click OK and even rebooted :)).Originally Posted by fla
As for konsole finally I managed to display proper characters instead of squares. It takes picking Font - Unicode and Font - Custom... in a random order and dancing under the moon until the desired result is reached. Most fonts display japanese characters correctly, but truncate end of cyrillic characters; one displaying both kinds right is "Console".
So now what can I do with "File Open" dialog?
Ghm, even SuSE does not support this, so solution is to use different frontend like amarok.

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD
$249.99
HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM
$289.99
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$400.00
Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD
$199.99
Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(8x64) 8x15TB NVME 10GbE Rails
$61452.99
Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(16x32) 8x3.84TB NVME 100GbE Rails
$36371.99
$280.00
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00