-
Senior Member
registered user
Nishtya,
First, was that little "poke" about ppl not liking apt, about me? Considering what I hear about the other methods of gaining apps in Linux, *** I LOVE APT *** ( especially after you learn what NOT to do in using it
)
As for your "Unix" person, what do "THEY" run? ( and why? ) - What have "THEY" tried, and when? I tried to get "some very old version" of Linux, sometime ago, to work, it wasn't pleasant, and seeing it NOW, is like, WOW this stuff is EXCELLENT, kind of thing. This could be the same thing for this person, they are going off of "outdated" information, and thus, they are coming from unfounded impressions. It may also turn out, this person is a "true blue" UNIX person, and they may be thinking that "Linux" is just a, pardon my language here, a "bastard" son of Unix, and not worthy to even shine the shoes of a Unix install.
This person may have preconceived thoughts of what "Linux" is, and where it is at. This person may also be so "dead set" in there thinking, that, nothing you say could change there mind, so, maybe what Shah suggests, is a good thing... Let them try it, let them see what it is, for themselves... But, dont expect a major "exorcist" reaction from them, they may just come back and say: "it was exactly what I expected, its junk", kind of thing... If the person is so "dead set" in there ways, you may never get anything "positive" from them, and thats fine, it would only serve to justify that, with them, you dont talk politics, religion, AND Linux with them... Sometimes, you just cant win, thats all. ( but you can try )
This also goes the same for those "dead set" "Windows" people, some of them will never "see" what Linux is, or does... They may never even get past the boot: prompt, and assume that THAT is what "Linux" is... I think of it this way, Windows, and ALL of the Linux variants out in the world, are ALL, just more options, more ways of using that big box on your desk, to do what YOU want to do, and how YOU want to do it, thats all, options. ( I know, this is going to turn out to be a "politial speach" again, sorry
)
I still find people who think that Win95 is better than sliced bread, when more versions exist, and could be better, for THEM, not me, but that is what it is supposed to be about, them. I even have some friends that are "still" running Win3.1, and for them, it works for what they want to do, and how they want to do it. You could take a Knoppix hard drive install computer, fully working perfectly, place it next to there system, and show them everything is just like there own system, but it does it better, or faster, or gives them more options to do what they already do, but, they still wont change, even if you offered to "give" them that working system. As you gain that "age" in life, you realize that people have opinions, they can be stubborn, they can be open, they may "say" they will use something, but, when you arent around, go back to what they are "used" to doing, its kind of human nature, change is bad, stagnity is good, I hit this at work many times, "we always did it 'this' way, why change?", even if "this" way is lame, or outdated, or ineffieciant, its what we have "always" done before, and it works, so "why?" try this "new-fangled" way of doing things?
I am quite sure that these "Expo's" get this same thinking, they give out tons of free software, and people get the chance to try it there, see what it can do, play with it, and when they get home, they either throw the disc away, or shelf-it, never to see the light of day again. Or, they may try it, but, the first sign of problems, it gets trashed, and they go back to what they were using before, only this time, with the new-founded thinking that what they "tried" was junk, or worse, that they should have never thought that what they already have is the "best" they could ever get. ( this may be where your "Unix" friend is coming from? )
I cant imagine a day without Linux, now, but, that wasnt how it always was. Only a short time ago, I thought that "Windows" was the best I could ever get, with all of its pains, and issues, it was along the lines of thinking: "this is what I deserve", or, "I cant get anything better than this"... But, then again, I was "open" to looking, trying, and working with, something new. To spend hours, days, even weeks, to painfully work out the "kinks" in my install, to re-learn a completely different OS, to learn how to do things in it, to get around in it, to get things done, and do what I want to do in it, or with it. ( I still have a way to go, but, I'm getting better )
When I got Knoppix fully functioning, doing those things I did in Windows, and running more stable, with even more stuff that I didnt have in Windows, I felt like I was going to be the Global Spokesperson for Linux, I'd travel around the world, "preaching" to people about the "joys" of Linux, and EVERYONE would follow me into the "Wonderful World of Linux!"... I'd do seminars, and people would come in using Windows, and walk out ready to be "disciples" of Linux, ready to lay down life and limb for Linux. The world would shift on its axis, World peace would be achieved, Wars would be non-existant, walls would come down, and MONUMENTS to ME would be erected in EVERY country!
Then reality kicked in, I am just a single user, of an OS, one that "I" felt was revolutionary, but that others saw as cumbersome, problematic, archaic, foreign, and not even worthy of there time, possibly. I dont "preach" Linux, but, I do support it, and when the opportunity arrises, I talk about it. I dont step outside, or go to malls, and yell my praises, I do it more on a one-to-one, personal nature, sometimes in a "hushed" voice. More like the guy who is trying to do a "drug deal" on the streets, affraid that the Microsoft Police might catch her trying to sabotage the "order" and "law-abiding" citizens into doing something illegal... "Hey, hey you, wanna try Linux?", "shhhhh, not so loud, here take this... dont let anyone see you have it... no, no, I wont take any money from you, now, the first is a sample, you try it, and if you like it, you know where you can find me... the next time, though, its going to cost you... but, this is just a trial...", and adding, finally, "...and if you get caught with that, I dont know you, you dont know me, and I'll swear I never met you, or gave that to you, ok?"
Maybe, I am more like the person who sells "ripped off" watches from there suitcase on the street corner, ever ready to "high tail it" when the "jig" is up? "Wanna see a new OS?", "Here, this is the greatest, good quality, cheap prices...", "Aaaaa, yeah, its a ROLEX, the expensive model, yeah...", "What? It does? Hmmmm, they must have made a typo, cause even though it says its a 'ROBEX', it "really is" a "ROLEX"...", "Maybe I can interest you in this 'other' OS? Yeah, it says 'ROLLEX', but thats why you get it at such a 'cheap' price..."
So, Nishtya, getting back to your Unix friend, I think the two of you are coming from two completely seperate areas, ( debate time ), find a common, see if you can find similarities, find out where they are "coming from", and see if you can find something that is "common" to you both. They may warm to you asking about what they use, or prefer, and then "sneak in" for the kill... Get them to "drop" there shields, and then place something inside, for them to explore -=- they are more apt to trying something new, when they arent feeling like they are being threatened... Getting them to talk about what they like about what they are using, may find ways to introducing subjects that you know are in Kanotix, or Knoppix, and you can "chime in" ...this has that too, but, you do it this way, or you can do it faster with this, kind of thing. Sometimes the best way to get a "convert", is not to bash them on the head with it, but, to do it along the lines of "intelligent" conversations, that being, non-threatening, and in a way, where no one feels like they are on the defensive or offensive. I guess the biggest thing is, dont be mad if they dont see things "your" way, and dont "get it" kind of thing. I am quite sure they are "intelligent", and make there own mind up, for themselves. They probably know what they like, and dislike, what works for them, and what doesnt. If they dont follow your lead, then so be it, let that be
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Rare Vintage Soviet KM1801VM3 (КМ1801ВМ3) 16-bit CPU Processor - White Ceramic
$99.00

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

Rare Vintage Soviet T34VM1 (Т34ВМ1) Z80 CPU Processor
$99.00

Vintage USSR ferrite core memory 4096
$99.00

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage Cubix A2870 + 2x A2310 QL 2286 Video Module ISA Boards 1989 Untested
$207.92

VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED
$500.00

Vintage NeXTstation N1100 Computer Workstation w HDD & FDD Steve Jobs Powers On
$299.95