Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Kismet & eth0 & eth1

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3

    Kismet & eth0 & eth1

    I am running Knoppix 3.2 - 03-03-28 on my dell laptop

    I am trying to run Kismet.

    On my laptop I have an integrated NIC and a PC Card ORiNOCO Wireless Card. My NIC is eth0 and my wireless is eth1.

    Kismet is trying to capture from eth0. Eth0 is my NIC. In the kismet.conf file it set to eth0.

    Is the only way for me to fix it by remastering a knoppix cd???

    Thanks,
    Dan

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I know I know
    "it's included with the distro"

    and

    "it's not illegal"

    maybe so but it sure is a hacker tool and I personally would never assist you in wardriving and I hope the same is true of everyone who visits this forum.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    ...and I personally would never assist you in wardriving.
    This issue has come up a number of times on this forum and I can only repeat what others have already stated. It may well be that this person intends to use Kismet malevolently, but this is not necessarily the case. Kismet has legitimate uses: namely, as a tool to check security on your own wireless network. For this reason I think we ought not to automatically assume bad motives. I likewise would offer no help whatsoever to someone who wanted to use Kismet as a hacking tool. This is just my two cents.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    It may well be that this person intends to use Kismet malevolently, but this is not necessarily the case. Kismet has legitimate uses: namely, as a tool to check security on your own wireless network.
    You're right - it does have a legitimate purpose and I don't like to stereotype anyone but I have to believe that someone who knows what this software is and is capable of using this type of softare is fully aware of its implications and would at least have made an attempt to explain what they intended to use it for.

    For this reason I think we ought not to automatically assume bad motives. I likewise would offer no help whatsoever to someone who wanted to use Kismet as a hacking tool.
    But how would you know?
    There are plenty of cracker sites out there already for them to frequent. Fortunately for me I don't have wireless so it's not really a concern. I of course couldn't do a damn thing if someone really wants help them. I suppose since it is included with the distro they are entitled to assistance.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3
    I am wanting to use it for my personal use!

    Does anyone have an answer?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    OK well maybe I was concerned because a hairyanimal wanted to use it!

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    But how would you know?
    My point exactly.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    92

    Some people!

    I am trying to configure Kismet right now so that I can see if the other side of my wireless network is messed up or not! Kismet is a great tool for checking this!

    See:

    http://www.bcwireless.net/MoodyVille

    Kismet has legitamate uses! Lighten up!

    -Ambrose

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    85
    I use netstumbler all the time on windows to check my wireless network signal strength. It works great to let me know if I need to scoot over more on the couch
    But seriously, I use it all the time for wifi signal strength testing. I find netstumbler and kismet an invaluable tool for mapping out your wireless network and finding dead spots and hot spots on your wifi network.

    just my 2 cents

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    73
    Try typing this:
    Code:
    kismet -i eth1

Similar Threads

  1. Kismet
    By proof in forum Networking
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 03:03 PM
  2. Kismet no workie
    By teitoku in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 01:42 PM
  3. Kismet and 802.11g
    By level in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 06:54 PM
  4. Kismet in Knoppix 3.2???
    By minhsao in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 01:36 PM
  5. Kismet help
    By dorianW in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-24-2003, 10:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00