With split, split -b 1000m filename /mnt/sda1/filenameOriginally Posted by Tito
basicly the same for cat.
Hello people:
I am new to Linux. I posted the message "Saving a large container from a crashed WinXP to external HD". My problem was that the external HD connected thru the USB port was NTFS and i could not make Captive NTFS accept the container. I changed the filesystem in the external HD using QTParted to FAT32. Then i susccessfully copied one 250 mb container simply using the right-click copy and paste. However, when i try the same strategy with the large 4 GB container the process starts fine but then at about 2 GB the writing onto the external HD is stopped and i receive a message like "Process died unexpectedly" (it happened twice) I thought i could split and rejoin the 4 GB container using the split and cat commands but i do not have enough disk space in the local partition (hda1). I do have space in the external HD (sda1 partition) so my question is if there is any simple modification of the split command
split -b 1000m filename filename
to put the split pieces into sda1 rather than hda1. I also want to join the pieces in the sda1 partition before connecting the external HD to another computer that will receive the container.
cat filenamead >> filenameaa
So how do i identify the sda1 partition in the cat command?
Thanks for your help.
Tito
With split, split -b 1000m filename /mnt/sda1/filenameOriginally Posted by Tito
basicly the same for cat.
Thanks. In the external HD i have a little less than 8 GB so to rejoinOriginally Posted by firebyrd10
the parts into the whole container, which is 4GB, i need to delete the parts as they are being assembled. How do i modify the cat command to do just that?
Tito
joined
I am not absolutely certain, but my recollection is there is a 2GB max on fat32 file sizes. You won't be able to cat the pieces together except on a ext2 or a NTFS drive. I went a few rounds with this issue a year or two ago and ended up with the large file on an ext2 file and a driver to mount the ext2 file in Win2K. I was trying to get a large drive image burned to a DVD.
You seem to be correct sir. I made a little research and also read messages in LinuxQuestions.org and apparently there is a 2GB limit in FAT32 (though there seems to be a patch).Originally Posted by rcook
Apart from the road you took, maybe i can copy the parts into WinXP and then re-assemble them using some MS-DOS command?
Tito
[snip]
So how do i identify the sda1 partition in the cat command?
Thanks for your help.
Tito[/quote]
With split, split -b 1000m filename /mnt/sda1/filename
basicly the same for cat.[/quote]
In the Root Shell i wrote:
split -b 1000m mnt/hda1/filename.xxx /mnt/sda1/filename
and the system responded
split: mnt/hda1/filename.xxx: No such file or directory
However, i know it is there, i can see it with Konqueror. What could
be wrong with my command?
Cheers
Tito
use the command line copy command. I think
c:\> copy /b part1+ /b part2 joinedFile
Check with the help to see proper/correct syntax.
copy /?
Thanks. In fact the split command did work so please disregard my previous post. I moved the parts from the external FAT32 HD into a working WinXP machine and joined them withOriginally Posted by rcook
copy \b partaa+partab+...+partae joined.xxx
Now i have to open the container to see that everything is fine inside.
It looks like i have completed my rescue mission.
Thanks to Koppix and to you guys!
Next mission: To reinstall WinXP in the Compaq machine and also Knoppix-Debian to have a dual boot system!
Tito
There is a 2gb limit on Fat32 with knoppix, though my winxp can go up to 4gb.
Don't keep us in suspense. Did it work?

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
Cisco SFP-10G-LR-S Reset & Tested Lot of 2
$32.99
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Ubiquiti Unifi USW PRO AGGREGATION 28x10Gbe 4x25Gbe QSFP28 Layer 3 Switch
$700.00
SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Ruckus ICX7550-24F-E2, 24 ports of 1/10GbE SFP+ & 2 ports of 40/100GbE QSFP28
$8995.00
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Ubiquiti Unifi USW PRO AGGREGATION 28x10Gbe 4x25Gbe QSFP28 Layer 3 Switch
$750.00