Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Installing NVidia GForce FX 5700

  1. #1

    Installing NVidia GForce FX 5700

    I am new to Linux, even though I have 20 years of networking experience. I downloaded the Knoppix CD and started working with it. I am having problems figuring out how to install the drivers for the video card.

    First, I am not certain whether I need the FreeBSD driver, or the Linux IA32 driver.

    I tried both, but I could not get them to install. The FreeBSD drivers directions;

    http://download.nvidia.com/freebsd/1.0-4365/README.txt

    Are just too confusing. I cant find the setup file that is reference in the "make setup" command.

    I tried the IA32 drivers, and I got an error message. I wish that I had it, but I am back at Windows now.

    Your time in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

    Close Hauled

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    You need to use Linux IA32 because basically you are in Debian distro. Get the latest nvidia installer(v 1.0-6106).

    Assuming you install knoppix on hd:
    1) If you're using kernel 2.4.x you don't have to compile your kernel.
    Do a console log in, not kde. Log as root. Run this command :
    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1.run
    It will ask you if you want to download kernel header from internet, just cancel that.It will rebuild it self. When everything succed, you need to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config4 .
    Type this command: mc
    Find that /etc/X11/XF86Config4 file and enter F4 to edit. Find
    Modules Section
    Remove or comment out lines including "dri" and "GLCore"
    Ensure there is a line with Load "glx"
    Drivers Section
    Replace "nv" with "nvidia"
    Then enter F2 to save. F10 to quit.
    Type startx to restart your KDE.

    2) If you are using kernel 2.6.6
    Follow my instruction http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...nvidia driver.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10329

    worked for me in fact im using the lates version of nvidia drivers

    one not under load glx it only worked for me if i typed glx in caps

    load GLX

    but dosnt pick up my specific card just generic but works great
    waiting on a reply to my post to see how to specifically set up my 5700LE

  4. #4
    Thanks shah,I followed your directions and it went without a hitch,thanks again david

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3
    Would it be possible for you to post your x86config-4 code. I have a 5500 and I can get my driver to load but can't get yhe dual head working. I did the debian install and I think knoppix regenerates the x86 file every time you reboot. I like knoppix but i also like the dual monitors for web design and stuff. I been trying for two weeks to get it working. I guess if I can't Iwill have to decide witch one I like best.

    Thanx: Joe

Similar Threads

  1. Help with installing nVidia Drivers /newbie/
    By nlight40 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 09:21 AM
  2. Need help installing Nvidia display driver
    By weedje in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 01:11 AM
  3. Guide to Installing NVIDIA Drivers under 2.6.6
    By naventus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-17-2004, 05:05 AM
  4. Installing Nvidia drivers for remastered cd
    By ill in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 01:34 PM
  5. nvidia gforce fx 5200 & KDS monitor
    By Not_Public in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-27-2003, 11:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro SYS-1018R-WC0R 1U Rack Server Xeon E5-2620 v4 64GB DDR4 RAM No HDD. picture

Supermicro SYS-1018R-WC0R 1U Rack Server Xeon E5-2620 v4 64GB DDR4 RAM No HDD.

$289.99



HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD

$599.00



32GB Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2E2UI PC4-3200AA-RB2-12 DDR4 Server Memory | Tested picture

32GB Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2E2UI PC4-3200AA-RB2-12 DDR4 Server Memory | Tested

$435.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00