Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Question about tohd

  1. #1

    Question about tohd

    I have two cd drives, and one of them has difficulty reading discs sometimes because it needs to be cleaned. I can't do the tohd command because of this. I was wondering if it's possible to boot off the knoppix cd in my main drive, and have the tohd command read from a second disc in the other drive? Thanks for your replies!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I don't know the answer to your question, but you might consider disabling the first CD in your BIOS (which should then let you boot the second as your only CD) or even swap out the bad drive completely (complete removal of the first drive will likely require rejumpering the second, but disabling the first in the BIOS should not).

  3. #3
    That'd be the most obvious and simple solution, but I'm not currently able to get a replacement drive, and when I switched drives to try booting and such with the other drive, I wouldn't boot into knoppix at all. I'll try to see if I can get it working, though, thanks for the help!

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury 4063
    ...and when I switched drives to try booting and such with the other drive, I wouldn't boot into knoppix at all.....
    That's very strange. Maybe that second drive isn't in as good of shape as you think it is. You did remember that swapping drives is a matter of changing the master/slave jumper, not a matter of moving drives on the cable, didn't you (assuming the drives are not both jumppered for CS, which I've never seen CD drives to be)?

  5. #5
    The second drive is in much better shape than the first, but it's very possible that there could be a problem with it as well. The jumpers and cables were set up proper when I had switched, it just wouldn't boot the cd at all.

Similar Threads

  1. new kernel/floppy boot/tohd question
    By knopnet in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 11:23 PM
  2. tohd fails
    By tmj0nes99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 07:16 PM
  3. tohd problem
    By crix in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 04:56 PM
  4. problem using fromhd/tohd
    By siddharth in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 09:01 AM
  5. tohd - then run lilo
    By chlor in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 05:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$49.99



Apple Macintosh 512K 1MB MacSnap SCSI 128K ROM 800K + 400K Drive Keyboard Mouse picture

Apple Macintosh 512K 1MB MacSnap SCSI 128K ROM 800K + 400K Drive Keyboard Mouse

$995.00



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare

$1800.00



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE

$6299.00



Apple Macintosh M0110 Keyboard, TESTED, WORKING; for Mac 128K, 512K, Plus - DW picture

Apple Macintosh M0110 Keyboard, TESTED, WORKING; for Mac 128K, 512K, Plus - DW

$71.99



Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$59.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



Keyboard Cable Cord - Apple Macintosh Mac 128K 512K 512Ke Plus picture

Keyboard Cable Cord - Apple Macintosh Mac 128K 512K 512Ke Plus

$12.99



Vintage Macintosh 128k 512k Microsoft FILE Version 1.0 Data Management File picture

Vintage Macintosh 128k 512k Microsoft FILE Version 1.0 Data Management File

$89.99



Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs picture

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs

$14.99