-
Knoppix: boot supposedly inactive...
I have just done jdong's install guide (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...ighlight=howto) (using knoppix-installer script instead of the old one) and when I reboot, i'll get to the NTLDR, I get to choose from two options:
Win XP Home (which i named "Evil Bill Gates OS")
Knoppix (^ "w00t_Linux_w00t")
I choose Knoppix, and I get a constant blinking cursor. Nothing happens. Zip. Zilch. Etc.
I don't know what happened. During install, I installed LILO to the Linux partition...which I think is the problem. Dunno what to do from there.
Thanks for your help.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Try reinstall knoppix and this time let lilo install to mbr.
-
Senior Member
registered user
During install, I installed LILO to the Linux partition...which I think is the problem.
I have edited a qoute from myself regarding this to fit you better.
The meaning of hdXY is simply your hard drive, where X is driveletter )a,b,c,d...) and Y is partition number (1,2....15, 16...) where you installed lilo.
you could use the Win2000/NT/XP bootloader.
to do that I let the nt bootloader and lilo work together for me. works well.
quick sketch what i do, write LILO to a floppy, make a "image" of the floppy-mbr put that image in C:\ edit BOOT.INI mine looks like this.
[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
C:\linux.ipl="LINUX"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
a few more details.
1) as you made lilo write to the linuxpartitions root, you should have this line in lilo.conf:
or give partition as an argument to lilo
2) make a image of the root of the linuxpartition, and put it on a floppy, then in windows put it directly under C:\
Code:
dd if=/dev/hdXY of=/mnt/auto/floppy/linux.ipl bs=512 count=1
3) Modifiy c:\boot.ini -- add a line with:
Code:
C:\linux.ipl="Linux"
repeat 1) and 2) every time you run LILO.
Microsoft ntldr now believes you have yet another windows installed. happy booting
oh btw, i have several linuxes booting from that same lilo.
Similar Threads
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
-
By proto in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
-
By J.A.X in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-30-2004, 02:52 AM
-
By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
-
By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$499.99

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99