Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: What's the best USB Hard drive to use?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    28

    What's the best USB Hard drive to use?

    I'm thinking about getting a USB hard drive to use with Live CD's like Morphix, Knoppix, and etc....Here's a few that I'm looking at,

    http://www.smartdisk.com/Products/St...es/FireFly.asp
    http://apricorn.com/product_details.php?ID=412
    http://www.apricorn.com/product_details.php?ID=216
    http://www.smartcart.com/BERKUN/cgi/...egory=EXTERNAL

    I like the Firefly from Smartdisk. Is there anyone using USB hard drives that they would recommend?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    You may or may not be interested in something like this, but I'm just going to get a hard drive enclosure and then I can use an old laptop hard drive in it.

    I did a bit of research on these things and here's the one I like.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...145-124&depa=0

    The enclousre is pretty cheap and it has good reviews. You may be able to get the drive fairly cheaply too and it may actually end up being less than buying one of the models you posted. One of the things I like about going this route is that you can upgrade to a larger drive or replace a defective drive at a pretty low cost.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    28

    cool

    This might be a good alternative. I'm wanting to keep the physical dimensions as small as possible. I also need it to be USB powered and not require addition power source. I notice that the enclosure looked like it might require two USB ports. Do you know if it does or not?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    28

    My choice

    I decided to go with the Firefly from Smartdisk. It is really working out great. I would recommend this External HD. It is super small and fits into a shirt pocket with room to spare. I'm using it mostly with Stux Live CD , www.gpstudio.com/stux
    I am able to run the full Quake III Arena game from the combination of the Live CD and the Firefly. :P

Similar Threads

  1. Copying hard drive to hard drive new to linux
    By husalah5150 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
  2. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  3. Where is my hard drive?
    By inspired1 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 07:42 AM
  4. Need hard drive help
    By Ezor in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 01:59 AM
  5. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Precision TSFPDA10G-80I-X 10G SFP+ ZR DWDM Tunable 80km SMF/LC Transceiver picture

Precision TSFPDA10G-80I-X 10G SFP+ ZR DWDM Tunable 80km SMF/LC Transceiver

$73.60



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New picture

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New

$180.00



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$33.94



CISCO SFP-10/25G-LR-S 10/25GBASE-LR SFPSFP28 Transceiver Module Hologram Tested picture

CISCO SFP-10/25G-LR-S 10/25GBASE-LR SFPSFP28 Transceiver Module Hologram Tested

$450.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99