-
installing on a HDD on laptop without a boot cd drive?
Can anyone give me any pointers as to how I may be able to install knoppix on an old P120 Compaq with 48mb ram and a partitioned 2.1 HDD. It does have a Floppy drive and I do have an external CD drive running throught he parrallel port. there is no USB but do have a PC card slot. I do have access to other PC's and have the capability of networking if necessary.
At present I'm running Windows 98 Lite (without IE browser) and use the second partition for storing files etc. I just thought that running knoppix or another Linux distro would be a better idea and would inject some life into an old laptop. Failing that it's for the scrap heap and a new one for xmas.
Apologies but I have posted this on the Laptop forum as well - not sure where it belongs.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well several problems here. The biggest is that Knoppix simply will not fit on a 2G partition. You'll have to use a smaller distro. Alot of people seem to like Damn Smal Linux. Never tried it myself. Also you certainly will not want to run KDE on that old box. Fluxbox would be perfect. You could boot the compressed KNOPPIX file from hdd but I do not know if DSL can do this or not. Or perhaps you can use a netboot with a live Linux disc runing on another box on your LAN.
Personally I would just use the Debian installer and build Debian with floppies. It's not that hard.
Similar Threads
-
By johnb in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-12-2005, 08:23 AM
-
By opensource_powered in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-04-2004, 02:19 PM
-
By SpankySTD in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-26-2004, 06:29 PM
-
By holyboy in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-05-2003, 03:45 PM
-
Replies: 8
Last Post: 06-01-2003, 08:17 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

DEC PDP-11/34 Front Panel Complete PDP11 RARE
$450.00

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$225.61

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX
$89.95

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00