Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Intalling Software... How?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    78

    Intalling Software... How?

    I'm still a Linux newbie in more ways then one which is one of the reasons Knoppix appeals to me (also the tremendous amount of pre-installed software) . I've got a HD install of 3.7 on my notebook and thanks to alot of people on this forum my PCMCIA WiFi card and printer are working.

    My biggest problem is installing software... I've seen alot of things about "apt-get" but am not sure if this would help, I've no problem downloading softare and using arc to unzip it but after that I'm lost. Does anyone know of a tutorial or something of that sort that can help me out with this? I guess one of the bigger differnce from Windows to Linux is you can't just "double-click" and things move into action. Thanks for any help!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I moved this snce it seems to better fit under the HDD install forum.

    Install application has some issues. Read through this forum for some of them.

    You likely will be very interested in the work of probono, see this thread:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7680

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    78
    Thanks, I wasn't quite sure where it would fit... my mistake.

    And thanks for the link also!

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96
    To use apt-get first run (as root)
    apt-get update
    then apt-get install package

    Take a look at http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages for the thousands of Debian packages

Similar Threads

  1. software
    By Xpiral in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 03:38 PM
  2. software
    By sandig in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 09:19 PM
  3. SOFTWARE
    By Doc in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2003, 06:43 AM
  4. Software
    By Zuggy in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-18-2003, 03:09 PM
  5. Intalling package: Read-only file system???
    By CelticSoul in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 08:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



SUPERMICRO CSE-829U X10DRU-I+ 2U Xeon E5-2667v3 8gb DDR4 12 Bay Server No HDD#73 picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-829U X10DRU-I+ 2U Xeon E5-2667v3 8gb DDR4 12 Bay Server No HDD#73

$300.00



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00