Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Where is the persistant home directory and how do I delete

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Where is the persistant home directory and how do I delete

    I created a persistant home directory under Knoppix. I told it NO, do not replace my entire hda5 partition with a persistant home directory, then told it to take 30 megs from hda5 for the persistant home directory. Everything went well. I rebooted wih the home=scan option, saved a small file there, confirmed that it persisted. When I went back into Windows I expected to see some file that Knoppix had created 30 megs in size that was holding the persistant home directory (similar to what I think Knoppix does when it needs to create swap space within a fat partition). But I can find no file created by Knoppix (in either partition, it should be on D, my fat partition, which is hda5. C is hda1 and is an ntfs partition).

    Where is the persistant home directory that Knopix creates, as seen from the Windows viewpoint?

    And how would I remove the persistant home directory (and get the space back) if I wanted to?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    It's named "knoppix.img" and (in my experience) Knoppix saves it to the root of your partition. So it should be D:\knoppix.img. And to reclaim the space, just delete it.

    If you saved your configuration, the files created would be "configs.tbz" and "knoppix.sh".

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    It's named "knoppix.img" and (in my experience) Knoppix saves it to the root of your partition. So it should be D:\knoppix.img. And to reclaim the space, just delete it
    Strange, no knoppix.img anywhere. All files beginning with knoppix are well know and none are that. Have a few other img files, but they are flash code for a router or floppy images, certainly no persistant home directory file.

    Anyone know what could be happening?

    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    If you saved your configuration, the files created would be "configs.tbz" and "knoppix.sh".
    Nope, baby steps so far. Want to understand one before I do the other, and so far that isn't going too well.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    it's just gotten stranger. I retraced my steps. When back into Knoppix. Seemed to no longer have a persistant home directory. Created it yet again. rebooted with the home=scan opion. went to /home and saved a file there. Confirmed it, typed it back with cat filename. rebooted with the home=scan option. The file I thought I had saved was no longer there!

    rebooted into Windows. Now the knoppix.img file is right where it should be. So why am I not seeing the persistance when I think I have saved files in it?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Could mabye have more then 1 PH and now know it?

    Instead of home=scan, try home=/dev/hda2 (or whatever yours is)

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    Could mabye have more then 1 PH and now know it?

    Instead of home=scan, try home=/dev/hda2 (or whatever yours is)
    Pretty much has to be hda5, only other partition is hda1 and that's ntfs (and there is no knoppix.img on it). I've been using scan because it's shorter and easier to type, and it seemed like a good habit to start so switching to a USB drive later will be easy. But same results with /dev/hda5.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    28
    I am seeing exactly same problem irrespective of home=scan or home=/dev/xxx. Any idea what can be wrong?

Similar Threads

  1. Persistant directory on USB key
    By cgl in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2005, 11:56 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2005, 11:50 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 11:27 PM
  4. Knoppix Persistant Home Directory & Saving Configuration
    By turbines in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 07:53 AM
  5. creating a persistant home directory
    By matt2kjones in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 07:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS picture

Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS

$15.00



Colorado Jumbo 250 Internal Tape Backup System Complete Set Mainframe Collection picture

Colorado Jumbo 250 Internal Tape Backup System Complete Set Mainframe Collection

$129.99



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$236.55



Vintage MSI K7T Turbo w/ AMD Athlon A1000AMT3C 256MB DDR Ram -Bloated Caps Parts picture

Vintage MSI K7T Turbo w/ AMD Athlon A1000AMT3C 256MB DDR Ram -Bloated Caps Parts

$69.99