-
Knoppix wont boot
Hello,
I have downloaded 3.3, 3.4 and 3.6 I have burned each version and tried booting from various Pc's with no luck.
I am a bit confused at this point as to why this is happening.
Any help?
-
Senior Member
registered user
You might check out http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/BurnHome
Probably you didn't burn the CD "bootable". Does your burned CD contain a .iso file? Then the CD is burned wrong and you can see the link above on how to burn it correctly.
Also make sure your computer's BIOS is set to boot from CD.
Greetings,
probono
-
bootable
The cd boots up in windows and starts the index.html fine.
That link is broken.
The cd contains --
Folders = boot, demos and KNOPPIX
Files = autorun the dot bat file , autorun setup .inf, index.html and the cdrom icon file.
Have I burned it wrong?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hmmm. It could be worse
Which software did you use to burn it? Does the computer boot from other bootable CDs, such as a Knoppix CD from a computer magazine cover or the Windows boot CD?
You might also check this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15008
-

Originally Posted by
probono
Hmmm. It could be worse

Which software did you use to burn it? Does the computer boot from other bootable CDs, such as a Knoppix CD from a computer magazine cover or the Windows boot CD?
You might also check this thread:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15008
Yes they boot from other boot cd's just not with the one I want lol.
Chexked the linux site at that link and tried alchohol 120% to see if there is a .iso file but nothing there the .iso downloads the same files I have burned and not an .iso Im still unable to figure it out I will just keep at it till I get it.
thanks Probono
-
Senior Member
registered user
Please follow the instructions for burning on http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html
Greetings
probono
-

Originally Posted by
probono
I would love to burn the iso but the downloads of knoppix don't have one.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Bklynjava
I would love to burn the iso but the downloads of knoppix don't have one.
I'm unclear on why you would say that. The most recent iso file on most mirrors is a file called KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso. It' is there. Also get a copy of KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso.md5.
Since I often see corruption problems when downloading (to a windows machine) from the mirrors, you might want to use BitTorrent (it doesn't do the translation that ftp does that leads to the corruption).
-
Senior Member
registered user
And be sure to compare the md5sum checksums.
-
I had a very similar problem. The CD was just peachy, but the BIOS would not boot it.
I had to make a boot disk, you may have to as well. Here is where I downloaded mine from:
http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/eco2g...pix-stuff.html
There are disks for three versions, you will need disk one and two for your version. Just put disk one and the CD in at boot and tell it to boot from floppy. Then after you reach the boot screen and tell Knoppix to boot another screen comes up asking for the second disk. Put it in and you're good.
It is a pain though if you are planning to always run it from the CD.
Similar Threads
-
By Weetabix in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-28-2004, 08:19 PM
-
By proto in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
-
By lil_slice in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-19-2004, 06:18 PM
-
By simmo in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-17-2003, 02:23 PM
-
By Wayne W in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-30-2003, 08:38 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$225.61

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000
$99.95

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00