From my own experience I know that Kanotix (a Knoppix-like live CD) has good support for usb adsl modems. Perhaps you might want to check that out. I haven't got mine working yet in Knoppix, too.
Greetings,
probono
hi,
i'm very new to linux. i downloaded knoppix3.6 two days ago. i booted the livecd everything is good but i cannot connect to internet...
i am using pikatel usb adsl modem (globespanvirata). it works in other os (which i'm bored of rebooting). knoppix identifies in usb devices but the modem does not work. what can i do now?
for about 6 hours i am scanning this forum. please somebody help.
thanks a lot...
From my own experience I know that Kanotix (a Knoppix-like live CD) has good support for usb adsl modems. Perhaps you might want to check that out. I haven't got mine working yet in Knoppix, too.
Greetings,
probono
thank you for this... i'll download and try that...Originally Posted by probono
i downloaded the kanotix booted and the same thing happened. everything is ok but my usb adsl modem still does not wrong. is there anything else i can do now?
Please use the chat icon on the Knoppix desktop and ask Kano, he often can help in these situations. (Kantoix is tuned for German DSL providers afaik.) Please post back how you did it in case you succeed.
Greetings,
probono
Do you have windows installed on your system?
I have Windows XP next to this linux knoppix hd install, for me at least in Windows XP I have to do the following:
start -> run -> command, in the dos window I type "ipconfig /release" and it will release my current connection from Windows XP,
I found out I had to do this when Knoppix would not connect to the internet, it has to be done everytime before you close Windows XP, maybe you can try the same... it works for me...
weedje

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30
HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$157.93
Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00
Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX
$89.95
Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00
Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00
Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99
IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00
Vintage IBM #192726 Paper Tape Punch Mainframe Computer Programming Tool 1960s
$135.65