-
Remastering a Boot CD to do a bit stream back up
As most of you if soon figure out, I am a newbie. I am trying to figure out a way to remaster a bootable CD that will automatically boot and do a complete bit stream back up of the primary HD (NTFS) to an USB external HD. I have about 80 Win2K workstations that I have to do a monthly back up and money is tight. Probally just need to figure out how to do the dd command. Any help greatly apprecated. Thanks, Jeff
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can use the Remastering HOWTO in the Knoppix.net documentation. Or if you don't want to get into the "dirty details" of the entire remastering process then I would suggest that you try this HOWTO that I wrote. It uses a menu that wraps around the copying, chroot & mkisofs commands so that you do not have to type long complicated commands. I did not write the menu script, only the the HOWTO. Here is the URL http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867.
As for the backup process, the dd command sounds right. You should be able to create a script that mounts the source hd, mounts the destination hd, and then performs a dd command to back it up. I would store that script (mybackup) in /etc/init.d/. Then I would create a link to that script in runlevel 5.
Code:
ln -s /etc/init.d/mybackup /etc/rc5.d/S80mybackup
That script would be executed right before Knoppix starts up KDE. If you want to start the backup script after KDE starts up you will probably have to edit the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession script as it controls how & when KDE is loaded.
If instead you want to force Knoppix to the command line by default, then take a look at isolinux.cfg at (KnoppixCD-Root)/boot/isolinux/. That file controls how the Knoppix bootup profiles.
(This example is from Knoppix 3.6)
Edit that file with a text editor and see the following:
Code:
1: DEFAULT linux24
2: APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
I am not absolutley positive, but you will need to insert your cheatcode 2 in line #2 so that it will boot into runlevel 2 for the command prompt.
I hope this helps.
James
-
Thanks, John for the fast response and the points I will give it a shot. Jeff
-
James, Just noticed that I addressed you as John. I applogize stupid mistake while doing three conversations at once. Thanks again for the advice. Jeff
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
jowens
James, Just noticed that I addressed you as John. I applogize stupid mistake while doing three conversations at once. Thanks again for the advice. Jeff
Hey, thats no problem at all. If you could, please keep us in the loop in regards to your progress.
Thanks,
James
Similar Threads
-
By rrfish72 in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-21-2004, 12:22 AM
-
By spangeman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-29-2004, 01:53 PM
-
By Kreator in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-20-2004, 03:20 PM
-
By jasedit in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 09:52 PM
-
By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620
$325.00

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE
$445.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM
$174.99

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
$635.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00