-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
baldyeti

Originally Posted by
garyng
I can't find an easy way to "install" redhat/suse/mandrake for my colinux
I had no need to install any new distro to run under colinux - my existing debian can be booted on its own or under XP via colinux. This is especially easy since they introduced device aliasing, so the (virtual) partitions of colinux (as declared in the xml config file) can be named just like the real ones. I also have a tiny startup script which adapts the IP address depending on whether linux is the main or hosted OS. I bet this all would work with any linux distribution, after the initial careful setup of colinux config file. Try it I bet you'll all love it.
BTW, you need 0.6.2 for device aliasing to work (makes it much easier to boot existing install, eg fstab is the same since partition names are the same). This version has not been released yet, so grab the latest
snapshot. The colinux support & dev mailing lists are also mirrored at news.gmane.org, which makes it real easy to access.
I have to stick with 0.6.1 because I can only work on 2.4 kernel for now(The Xbox support in 2.6 is not complete and WRT54G also use a 2.4 kernel). Transporting an existing roofs for a distro is not too difficult, it is the initial installation that is a problem. Say I want a SUSE, I need to give it a "real" computer to install to before I can extract its rootfs. This cannot be done on my PC which has one big HD with one big NTFS partition, nor on my Xbox. The only way is to use VMWARE or VirtualPC but I am poor and don't want to pay for it.
Similar Threads
-
By kepler in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-11-2004, 09:51 PM
-
By macherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 18
Last Post: 07-18-2004, 07:41 PM
-
By trivas7 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-27-2004, 12:21 AM
-
By datakid in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-07-2003, 07:46 AM
-
By god in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-11-2003, 11:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro SYS-E302-9A Fanless Firewall Atom C3558 16GB ECC 64GB SSD 6x GbE i350
$325.00

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99