-
Senior Member
registered user
monitor 0.2 - Creating those sort-lists ...
Hi,
you might have heard of using sort lists to optimize the speed of a LIVE CD.
(Use mkisofs -sort)
But always there was the question:
How can you create those sort-lists.
Klaus answer was always:
- Install to HD, boot from HD and use Knoppix.mksortlist to create mkisofs.sort.
But many of us used just the chroot method to do a quick remaster.
So we could not use the sortlist-feature ...
To avoid this issue, I have created a kernel module, which automatically monitors each file access together with the corresponding time.
So you can now create a CD, boot it once (for example with bootfrom=/dev/hdaX/*.iso) and then speed-optimize it by creating the ISO-file again and burn and be happy
.
Well I dunno if you have a use for it.
I just thought, I share my work
.
For more info see here:
http://www.linuxtag.org/wws/arc/debi.../msg00055.html
To get the monitor module go to:
http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/exper...tor-0.2.tar.gz
Usage is explained in above post.
cu
Fabian
-
Junior Member
registered user
Odd that nobody responded to this, it sounds neat, but how come it takes over the kernel log? I think it'd be better if it didn't but thats no matter. In your mailing list posts you mention how to use it manually, but would adding it to the minirt24.gz root and starting it up inside that stuff be more useful? Is it even possible? I'm guessing just add this to linuxrc
Code:
cat /proc/kmsg > /ramdisk/accesslist.log &
echo $! > /ramdisk/cat.pid
modprobe monitor
also is this for 2.4 or 2.6 or both?
doing lots of pondering on the sorting of files right now and first access is better than latest access (also I'd need to make a partition for the express purpose of not having noatime in fstab and then hack the initrd to mount it and other stupid details) so I'll probably be giving this a shot in the next few days
-
From the mailing list:
Hi, the builtit.sh was made for 2.4.x I think that is the problem.
I'll look into it as soon as I find the time.
Sorry, I'm stillu sing 2.4.x and forogt about 2.6.x ...
cu
Fabian
Similar Threads
-
By morbidpalooza in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-03-2005, 08:37 PM
-
By babelbrennt in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-12-2005, 02:13 AM
-
By thestevo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-03-2005, 08:41 PM
-
Replies: 97
Last Post: 03-02-2005, 08:45 PM
-
By mikeUK in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-04-2005, 01:52 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD
$483.99

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99