Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Input/output failure cloning to USB drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2

    Input/output failure cloning to USB drive

    I'm very much a Linux beginner.

    I'm also aware that there are an awful lot of queries posted regarding drive cloning. However, so far I have not found anything that helps with the following issue.

    I'm booting into the current version of Knoppix (3.6?). I'm attempting to clone a win98 se internal drive (boot) to an external Archos 20 Gigabyte hard drive. Drive capacities appear to be identical.

    Procedurally, I unmount both hard drives, and make the USB drive writeable in the GUI, shell out to console, log on as root (su + passwd), and use the dd command with if and of specified to point to the drives. Everything goes smoothly for the first ten minutes (I'm using USB 1.1 so this is not a speedy operation) then I get an input-output error message at the console and the operation terminates.

    If I boot back into Windows and look at the files, the root structure has been created, with all directories and files visible and apparently soundly copied and correctly named. However, if I look into some of the directories, though most are empty, some have cryptically named files and sub-directories (where none should exist). Clearly the cloning process has worked OK at root but I'm troubled by these nonce files.

    My questions are:

    1. Am I doing something stupid on the command line initially that's causing the termination? OR

    2. Are these errors (the input/ouput failure, the odd files and subdirectories likely simply a manifestation of a write failure?

    I should say that the drive communicates fine under Windows and I can (for example) do a full multi-hour system file-for-file backup using Dantz Retrospect. However, my backup preference is a bootable clone on the USB drive. This seems better done with Knoppix than any of the Windows utilities out there.

    One thing that occurred to me is that perhaps the drive capacities are not exactly equal (though they appear to be). If this is a potential issue, is there a workaround that copies simply files, not blank space (which, I believe, cloning also copies)?

    Ted.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Not sure what's wrong there but I replaced my hda just yesterday by making a slightly larger ntfs partition on the new drive, plugged it in and while booted into live-cd used dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb and after 55 minutes it was done and the new disk then as hda worked just fine. Later on I added more partitions as the new disk is larger.
    Perhaps you have USB 1.1 and it can't write as fast as dd puts out? All in all it must take hours to finish.

    Procedurally, I unmount both hard drives, and make the USB drive writeable in the GUI
    I don't think you have to make it writable, certainly it shouldn't be mounted.
    I also dropped down to Ctrl-Alt-F2 and did init 3 to free some memory for the process.

    One thing that occurred to me is that perhaps the drive capacities are not exactly equal (though they appear to be). If this is a potential issue, is there a workaround that copies simply files, not blank space (which, I believe, cloning also copies)?
    The target needs to be at least as big as the source. dd copies bit by bit, if you want just files and not free space you need to use something else.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2
    Thank you, Markus. There are several helpful suggestions in your letter. I am starting to think that the issue really is the equivalence of drive sizes. Maybe if I repartition the boot drive so it is smaller this might go more smoothly. The experiment may be worthwhile. However, I'll try freeing some more memory as you suggest in case this is a factor.

    Ted.

Similar Threads

  1. fread input/output error
    By mikesmith36 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-24-2005, 10:35 AM
  2. Input/output error
    By enlightened_j in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 06:39 PM
  3. bash: /usr/bin/sudo: Input/output error
    By downdogWoof in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 05:27 AM
  4. Input/Output Errors?
    By dark_mage in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 01:29 AM
  5. input output error during install
    By Penumbral in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 07:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00