-
Knoppix Hardware Detection in Debian
Hi all,
I've been trying to figure out how to get the Knoppix autoconfiguration working in Debian sarge/sid without success. Specifically, I wanted the knoppix autoconfiguration for the X server and for updating the fstab. On Debian, I have most of the hardware detection packages installed such as discover, mdetect, read-edid, etc. I've also tried xdebconfigurator without success. Knoppix does an excellent job of detecting my video and monitor and sets it up without a hitch. It also updates the fstab correctly. On my Debian system, it detects all the hardware as I can see during boot, but it does nothing more. What I'm hoping to do is take these 2 features from knoppix and add them to my current system. I imagine this involves copying a couple of knoppix script files and installing some software packages, but I've been unsuccessful in getting it to work propertly. Has anyone done this? Thanks!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Knoppix boot up uses the script '/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig' but this may call other scripts to detect hardware & set thing up. One of these is mkxfconfig which detects video etc & sets up /etc/X11/XK86Config-4. Knoppix uses kudzu (which I think was adapted from mandrake) to do at least part of the hardware detection.
The scripts which are being used to start up a system are listed in /etc/rcS.d.
Hardware detection is one of Knoppix's real strong points, adapting it to a native Debian install may be difficult.
You could try trading in your Debian install for a Knoppix based HDinstall; actually Kanotix is recommended for this. (Kanotix is a Knoppix spinoff). I've just recently put on a Kanotix HDinstall, looks like it will work out OK, very close to a Debian SID install.
Similar Threads
-
By drabo in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-15-2005, 08:57 PM
-
By victorhooi in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-13-2005, 09:53 AM
-
By linuxenthusiast101 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 12:58 AM
-
By Danmak in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-01-2003, 03:40 AM
-
By Wouter in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:17 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold
$121.00

TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit
$199.99

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V
$41.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM
$120.00

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00