Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: DSL connection does not work after HDD install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2

    DSL connection does not work after HDD install

    I did start Knoppix 3.7 from CD and had no problems configuring a DSL network connection using ppoeconf. and getting it started with pon dsl-provider. Then I did a HDD install and tried again. ppoeconf found the eth0 device, but at the next step the configuration failed, indicating that there is no connection or the connection used by some other process.

    I tried that as user as well as root, with the same result.

    Also even inserting the CD again even without myconfig, but I ended up with the same error.

    Under Windows the network still works fine. So I desperately had to switch back and look in the web for help:

    I also trid netcardconfig, but without success.

    Any ideas. Thany a lot in advance.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    10
    I running Kurumin (a Brazilian flavor of knoppix) and have no problems to reach the web.

    If I try the knoppix cd I get the same error you get. If I swicht back to kurumin cd i do get the connection.

    I printed in paper both kurumin and knoppix pppoeconf, put the paper side by side and compared line by line. They are identical.

    I should help if we (me and Julian) could understand how a dsl connection is got under knoppix. Which steps are done.

    I do intend to install Knoppix in my hd but I can not do it before I figure how to connect at internet. I completely gave up on windows.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Did you try pump at knosole after you configured pppoe. That's what got mydsl connection started.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2
    After sleeping a night over it I did restart and came one step further. The pppoeconfig did run, but I did not get a connection. The data LED on my dsl-modem was not flashing.

    Then I did reboot and tried everything, networkconfig gave with defalut values an error, but after switching to manual mode, but without changing any IP number it did work.

    Pump gave an error message, but after running pppoeconfig it did work and now I am posting this using Knoppix

    I will try it in a more controlled way and let you know about the results.

    But anyhow this is a good community and thanks to everyone spending time to give advice.

Similar Threads

  1. how to install programs, no internet connection, please :)
    By DanBallance in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-25-2005, 01:40 PM
  2. No Internet connection after HDD install of Version 4.0
    By siggy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2005, 03:34 PM
  3. Ethernet install killed modem connection.
    By CptKrf in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 02:35 AM
  4. need help getting broadband connection to work
    By username in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2003, 01:37 AM
  5. net doesn't work after hdd install
    By sevengraff in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 02:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$239.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers* picture

Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers*

$159.99