-
Wrong hardware detection: connecting the HD to an other pc
Hey!! I allready started a topic "Error message: Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem" in the General forum but if I will not be able to make it on that way.(I can only do this on Friday) I will have to try an other solution:
I've connected an old HD to my own pc, where knoppix runs fine. So I were able to "HD-install" knoppix on that old HD.
Now I connected that HD to an very old PC. (I could not boot knoppix from CD there. Watch my first topic) The Problem is: the knoppix does not detects the hardware from the old pc. It uses the old configuration from the pc, where I installed it, instead. For exmaple it says, that an GeForce VGA is there and sets the graphics driver to "nv"
. But that's not the only wrong detected hardware I have (Monitor refresh rates, network adapter, sound card, fstab file, and so on). Help!! What am I doing wrong?? Any Ideas what to do next??
-
Senior Member
registered user
Depending on how you installed it, knoppiw should do some hardware detections.
But from the sounds of it you took the all Debain path.
Rather then going thourgh and changing everything, it might be easier to just reinstall. That way the settings will be tailored to that PC.
-
"Depending on how you installed it, knoppix should do some hardware detections.
But from the sounds of it you took the all Debain path."
My impression is that even in the "Beginner" (not sure about "Knoppix-style", haven't ever done that one) install it doesn't do the full hardware detection at subsequent boots after installation. It does not seem to alter existing /etc/modules and /etc/modules-(kernel version) files or /etc/X11/XF86Config and /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 files. But if you delete them, it will re-run autodetection.
That is, of course if it isn't a "Debian-style" install which doesn't do hardware autodetection.
-

Originally Posted by
firebyrd10
just reinstall
I can't. I get an error message about missing filesystem when try to boot from the CD
-
Which kind of install did you do? (Or which version of Knoppix? If 3.3 or earlier, the install without hardware detection seems to have been the only option.) You say you can't do a reinstall, but can you do one by moving the hard drive like you originally did--and making sure this time you install so it will autodetect?
With the "Beginner" install, deleting the files I mentioned definitely works. I imaged several PCs using Symantec Ghost--so the detected hardware was as on the original system, and I couldn't get X Windows to work. Deleting those files and rebooting allowed me to get a GUI. If you are booting but not getting a GUI but not reverting back to command line, you can get a console by typing "linux 2" at the boot menu screen or <ctrl> + <alt> + F1 once it has booted should get you another terminal. Then you can delete them.
-
I installed 3.6 and selected Beginner
Similar Threads
-
By s-r-b in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-25-2006, 12:47 AM
-
By obsoleto in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-04-2004, 05:11 PM
-
By jcostello in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-24-2004, 01:33 AM
-
By Danmak in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-01-2003, 03:40 AM
-
By staverts in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-28-2003, 06:48 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620
$325.00

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
$635.00

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM
$174.99

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE
$445.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00