-
Senior Member
registered user
I would use cfdisk or QTparted to partition the HD. It does I think need an 'active' partition but 'primary' and extended are windows terms not needed for Linux.
For a multi boot system I would put one partition about 4 Gig from each linux O/S I wanted to install, one swap about 300-500 Meg and the rest of the drive for data. Alway skeep data separate from operating system for in case of a system crash. If I was going to use windows at all, I would format the data partition vfat so win & linux could both use the same data partition.
I would put lilo on the MBR from the first O/S installed, all the others would put their lilo (or grub if preferred) on the partition. These systems would then be added into the main lilo as 'other' operating system which will boot into the bootloader on the partition.
If I was going to have a dual boot winows/linux system I would use windows fdisk to do the initial partition at least as far as creating a primary & extended partition. Windows is fussier than linux about partitiions. Linux could then be used to create logical partitions in the extended partition.
Similar Threads
-
By kene in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-11-2006, 05:25 PM
-
By Batman in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-23-2005, 10:43 PM
-
By bono in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-08-2005, 08:10 AM
-
By Quite in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-23-2004, 01:36 AM
-
By rossnixon in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 02-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Rare Vintage Epson SD-800 Dual Floppy Combo Drive 3.5" & 5.25"
$199.00

Apple IIe Vintage Home Computer Model A2S2064 w/ Power Cord
$120.02

Apple Vintage Joystick for Apple IIe IIc Computer Controller A2M2002
$72.50

Vintage 1980s PC XT Clone Motherboard 8088 CPU 8-Bit ISA Slots Untested
$69.77

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage IBM KB-7993 Multimedia PS/2 Keyboard & IBM 12J3618 Mouse Retro PC
$45.00

Lot of 3 Vintage Quantum Bigfoot 2550AT 2.5GB 5.25" IDE HDD – MCI Engineer Coll.
$89.00

Vintage IOMEGA Parallel Port Zip100 w/Power Adapter *FAST SHIPPING*
$24.99

Vintage Toshiba Satellite 2590 CDT Intel Celeron 98 No Power Cords included
$150.00

Vintage 486 VLB Motherboard Combo AMD Am486 DX4-120 SiS 85C471 AMI BIOS SIMM
$149.00