Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: LOcal FTP for installing and apt

  1. #1
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    LOcal FTP for installing and apt

    Well, I finally got Debain sarge installed to hard disk today. Took three tries, lots of apt getting each time though, and I'm far from anywhere near an enjoyable install. Also, since I couldnn't seen to convince the installer to use the partitions I wanted for it and I gave in and let it take all remaining disk space, I'm likley going to be tossing it off and reinstalling, both to try a Kanotix install and just to get the install "right". So this causes me to wonder if I might not be better off downloading the packages I need or want to a local FTP server and then install much faster from that (and put less load on the debain FTP servers, since I expect I'll install more than one more time).

    The questions are: Can I even do this? I remember seeing a list of available servers during the install, but don't know if I can install from my own local server or if I'm forced to pick from the list. (It sure seems like I should be able to use my own FTP server, but there's a lot of things in Linux I expect to be easy but, at least for the novice, are not.) Assuming I can do this, is there a good way to determine what packages I need to download to my server (I have no idea what packages Debain gets, but I saw it take about 700 during the install). Or am I planning on doing something completely stupid?

    Running the local FTP server should be no problem, but I only have about 4 to 5 gig of space for the FTP server. That certainly seems like it should be enough, but I may have to be somewhat selective in what I have on the server that way.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Just use the mirrors, that's what they are there for.
    If you do a Kanotix or a Knoppix hdinstall, there is no downloading needed (other than to get the original Kanotix/Knooix disk) but once you have the hd install you will probably want to upgrade it or add packages; this will involve some downloading.
    When I was doing several pretty much identical installs (experimenting with Kanotix-Knoopix mode, debian mode, two machines...), first I made a list of packages I wanted to remove, removed them, then did apt-get upgrade which needed about 400 Meg of packages. These get stored in /var/cache/apt/archives until you remove them with apt-get clean so I just copied the packages to a backup location then copied them back into /var/cache/apt/archives for the next install so I didn't have to repeat the download each time.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    That seems to be a problem with the older installer.

    Try this.
    http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/t...mages/netboot/

    its the mini.iso

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    That seems to be a problem with the older installer.....
    Thanks, but what exact do you mean by "That"?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    That seems to be a problem with the older installer.....
    Thanks, but what exact do you mean by "That"?
    The harddrive partitioning problem.

    I thought I hit quote....

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    Harddrive partitioning problem.

    I thought I hit quote....
    Thanks. Quote woulldn't have helped unless you narrowed it down to the item anyway.

    I did grab the mini.iso. Not sure when I'll try to use it, as I would like to figure out the answer to the main question, can I get packages available on a local FTP server before I do, to make future installs a lot faster (and what surprises wil I have when I try to do this). But it's good to know that I wasn't the only one to find the partitioning an issue and that it's been addressed.

Similar Threads

  1. Local file?
    By Jorge Martínez in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-07-2005, 02:48 AM
  2. Installing a local KDE
    By kooladi in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2005, 08:31 PM
  3. why the local harddisk can't be save?
    By treo in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 04:05 PM
  4. rc.local
    By TheCyberDude in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 03:59 PM
  5. rc.local and symlinks
    By Ambrose in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 01:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$749.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00