-
New User With Questions
I just set up Knoppix today. So far so good. I like it. I have a few questions though. Firefox was my main browser. I installed it no problem- now I can't find it to open it again. My second question is: If I wanted to use this as my main operating system is there a way I can actually install it on the hard drive?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
If you have rebooted Knoppix and you didn't have a persistant home directory, then Firefox was installed to RAM and is lost on a reboot.
Yes, Knoppix can be installed to a hard disk. Some believe this works better than others. There are issues, as the main focus of Knoppix is a Live CD, not a distribution intended for hard disk. See the hdd install forum for some of the problems that users hit when installing to hard drive, as well as for the magic commands to do it and the different types of install available.
You might be interested in a Knoppix deravitive called Kanotix. I believe it already has Firefox installed. It also is said to be somewhat better for installing on a hard disk (note that I did not say all porblems of a Live CD installed to a hard disk go away). Here's a link to a FTP site with the newest version 10 of Kantonix. And here's a thread giving information on installing Kanotix to hard disk.
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-06-2005, 11:06 AM
-
By ohno in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-10-2004, 03:17 AM
-
By tarinja in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-02-2004, 04:55 AM
-
By ishaim in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-27-2004, 06:56 AM
-
By sn0wflake in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-23-2004, 06:54 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$165.58

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99

Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS
$15.00

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000
$99.95

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$166.24

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95