Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: want to install knoppix...plz help

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5

    want to install knoppix...plz help

    Alright, here is my delima....I think. I have a NTFS 40 Gig Hard Drive, in which I tried to install knoppix to some time ago, using a partition made by partition magic, but then ended up screwing up the enter HD and had to reformat it, so I figured it was too risky to do. Today, I got a 6 Gig, FAT32 HD that I wish to install knoppix to. There is nothing on it, just freshly reformatted.

    So i pop in the Knoppix CD, and use the command "sudo knoppix-installer" it starts the hdd install process, then tells me this drive doesn't meet the specifications, that it isnt blank, so it opens up some program called "QTParted" or something. So I format that drive using whatever that was, well that didnt work, so I went back to windows for a couple minutes. I then opened up My Computer, and noticed that the hd was no longer in the list. Yet, when I look here on knoppix, it does show up....

    So I tried to install again, and this time it went through, but then said "You do not have the authority" or whatever "to write on this disk", which I read somewhere else it means that the hd needs to be unmounted. So my questions....

    1. How do I umount the 6 gig HD?
    2. Why isnt it showing up in the My Computer thing anymore?
    3. If and when I get it installed to this HD, im not exactly sure how to boot from that HD, would i just do the good old F11 boot menu at startup and choose my second HD?
    4. Once on knoppix will I still be able to access files from my other HD (Like my music etc) and same vice versa....
    5. There is no 5, thanks in advance though to ANYONE who can help me out!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7
    JohnT - I'm also a newb but I will try my best to help you.

    1. How do I umount the 6 gig HD? - Is this Mount or Unmount?

    2. Why isnt it showing up in the My Computer thing anymore? - It is not showing because it most probably have the ext3 (linux format)

    3. If and when I get it installed to this HD, im not exactly sure how to boot from that HD, would i just do the good old F11 boot menu at startup and choose my second HD? - When you're installing, you'll have the option of dual booting (if you have windows)
    4. Once on knoppix will I still be able to access files from my other HD (Like my music etc) and same vice versa.... - you have to mount the other harddisk (windows) once you've installed/run Linux

    5. There is no 5, thanks in advance though to ANYONE who can help me out! - You're welcome.

Similar Threads

  1. Apt-get better with Debian install than Knoppix install?
    By susanjohnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
  2. Upgrade Knoppix 3.6 HDD install to Knoppix 3.7 HDD install
    By techdesk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 03:14 AM
  3. Knoppix install read error around 80%, install another way?
    By nmz787 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 09:17 AM
  4. Knoppix HDD install Vs. regular Debian install
    By Jez in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
  5. saving home from hd-install, so i can install new knoppix
    By Superstoned in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$400.00



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(8x64) 8x15TB NVME 10GbE Rails picture

Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(8x64) 8x15TB NVME 10GbE Rails

$61452.99



Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(16x32) 8x3.84TB NVME 100GbE Rails picture

Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(16x32) 8x3.84TB NVME 100GbE Rails

$36371.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00