Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: remote desktop

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1

    remote desktop

    I've looked all throught the past threads and cant find the answer to my question.

    I downloaded RealVNC for linux. I extracted, then ran vncserver in terminal. It asks for a password, but i cant type anything, i press enter and it says password too short, try again.

    Any ideas? This prob has been bothering me for a while. I want to run the server on knoppix, so i can view it from my windows comp. I can setup an ftp on my windows system, but i want to be able to run commands n stuff without having to go over to my linux box. Tryin to learn linux btw.


    Thx!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I gave up on VNC. Why not use ssh, sftp, fish, etc?

    Regards,
    AJG

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Since Knoppix comes with the NX Server, why not use that? You can download a free NX client for Windows.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Yes....go for NX.


  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    You all have had success with NX and VNC?

    Regards,
    AJG

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I never had much success with VNC.

    I recently tried NX on my knoppix-installered LAN (V3.7) and it seems to be working great! One question: is there a way for my students to see my desktop and what I'm doing on it if I want - ie: control their desktops from mine? That way I don't need to set up a PC viewer/projector all the time....

    How about vis-a-versa? In other words, can I link to a student's desktop remotely and see what they're doing?

    TIA,
    AJG

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    72
    How do you start an NX server from knoppix. I have a hardrive install, if that makes a differnece/ I see that there is an NX client installed, but not the server. Whats up? Am i just looking in the wrong place.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Yup, you have to look in two different places. Set up the nxclient you found (<K><internet>) on the client, of course. Then set up the server with <KNOPPIX><SERVICES><START><NXSERVER>. Then go back to the client and fire up nxclient!

    HTH,
    AJG

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    One thing I find annoying, however, about the nxclient is that it saves the last userid and passwd that was used! Is there some way to disable this?

    Regards,
    AJG

Similar Threads

  1. remote desktop
    By roc in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 06:49 PM
  2. Remote desktop?
    By yonatan in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 08:42 PM
  3. Remote Desktop
    By RigorMortis in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 03:38 AM
  4. Remote desktop connection
    By usb1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 02:23 AM
  5. Remote desktop
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 11:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DEC PDP-11/34 Front Panel Complete PDP11 RARE picture

DEC PDP-11/34 Front Panel Complete PDP11 RARE

$450.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX picture

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX

$89.95



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



IBM System Z10 Type 2098 Mainframe (As-Is) picture

IBM System Z10 Type 2098 Mainframe (As-Is)

$6999.99