-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanx for you reply pau1knopp!
Yes, Qemu rocks in many ways. Being able to boot any LIVE-isos just like that is really nice. My main reason though for using Qemu and Windows 98 is actually to be able to run some comparatively small scientific command-line Windows packages on phylogenetics and biogeography and not have to reboot my machine all the time. For instance, DIVA (http://www.ebc.uu.se/systzoo/research/diva/diva.html) and TreeFitter (http://www.ebc.uu.se/systzoo/researc...reefitter.html). At some point, like a year ago, at least one of these programs (don't remember which) worked with Wine, but not anymore. Damn shame. Therefor Qemu. However, since I have not been able to get the network going this time around I can not transfer output-files back to my Linux system. Damn irritating shame.
Back in July, I successfully installed and ran Windows XP with Qemu 0.5.4 (or 0.5.5). But the performance was VERY poor. I am using a HP NX7000 Pentium-M 1.5GHz/512MB RAM, and Windows 98 is ok, using Debian's 0.6.1-1 package. Actually I am running a HD install of Kanotix Bug Hunter 9A, which is a great Knoppix mod for laptops.
Yes, I am referring to the tun / tap network interface, which was not required before, and is a pain to configure. At least the debian templates are too cryptic for me.
Are you using a standard debian/knoppix Qemu package? Or did you compile it from scratch? What version?
The local NAT qemu network? Is that what is compiled in with the " ./configure --enable-slirp" option and activated with "-user-net"? I had this going before in earlier Qemu versions, but I don't remember now - the virtual network card is detected during the installation of Windows, but can I change my ("defective") qemu binary later on and have my installed Windows detect it when it boots instead? Do I need to configure the network card (IP-numbers, DNSs etc) in Windows?
Btw, how is the graphics looking for you in Windows 98? I have only 640x480 16-bit, which is ok for my purposes but a bit boring.
Thanx for your feedback and happy for more!
Will have a look at the qemu-forum.
Regards,
Andreas
Similar Threads
-
By CytoTech in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-22-2005, 07:37 AM
-
By ewangr in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-08-2005, 04:38 PM
-
By adamherb in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-18-2005, 02:00 AM
-
By Species8372 in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-04-2005, 07:28 AM
-
By mahdi in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Lot of 5x SFP-10G-LR CISCO 10-2457-02 10GBASE-LR SFP+ Transceiver
$75.00

LOT of 50 – Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver 10-2415-03
$180.00

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch
$175.00