I've installed Gnome 2.8 on my Knoppix 3.7 install but I'm concerened about installing the HAL and udev packages to enable the gnome device manager.
One of the dependencies for these packages is initscripts. Can I install this stuff without trashing my install?

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00
Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99
Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99
Analog Devices Macsym 2 Signal Simulator
$220.00
Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01
$127.06
Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99
Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00
1979 vintage apple II 2 keyboard Mod CV Control Analog Synthesizer Paia Buchla
$500.00
1950 High Speed Computers Analog ENIAC UNIVAC EDVAC IBM SSEC Relay Logic Tubes
$65.00
VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare
$380.00