-
Changing bootloader and bootloader partition?
I usually have the following on my system
hda1 (windows C)
hda2 (/boot)
hda4 (extended)
hda5 (windows D)
hda6 (windows E)
hda7 (windows F)
hda8 (/)
hda9 (swap)
I do this, because in the past, lilo required to be below the 1024 cylinder boundery. Nowadays I'm using grub, which doesn't have the problem, but it is installed on the /boot partition anyways.
The ultimate advantage of ths setup is, that I set /dev/hda2 active and can use gub to boot linux or windows. If I damange my linux (like now) I can still use grub to boot windows.
If I decide (like now) to reformat /dev/hda2 and start over again, I simply set /dev/hda1 active and Windows can boot by itself again, since nothing was modified.
Now I want to install Knoppix 3.7 to the HDD and want to use:
1) GRUB insteat lilo
2) Place grub in /dev/hda2 and not in /dev/hda8 like the installer does it.
I manually changed the config file before I did the install. But for option (2) I don't have any glue that doing it per hand myself, when the install is finished.
Sincerly, Art
Similar Threads
-
By susanjohnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
-
By techdesk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-21-2005, 03:14 AM
-
By nmz787 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-21-2004, 09:17 AM
-
By Jez in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
-
By Superstoned in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-27-2003, 03:04 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$225.61

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99

Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS
$15.00

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00