In german, I would say: 1 knoppix, 2 knoppixe
But since the name is in some way derived from unix, I would look at this.
Isn't it 1 unix, 2 unixes?
And therefore knoppixes.
I have found myself in the unlikly position of an IT mentor in a multicultural center in my city.
I have been using Knoppix to teach office skills, simple web design & ftp with basic network theory and hardware maintainance.
I love to use knoppix, as it just works and there is no fear of newbie pc murder, plus I see myself in a good position to evangelise Linux to people who cannot afford M$ licences!
my somewhat jovial question is this.
what do you call a collection of knoppix disks / os's or networked pcs?
one knoppic, two knoppixis (golumn)
is it one knoppix, two knoppiae?
indeed should my 2 year collection of old disks be reffered to as a plethera of knoppiae
I think it could be important as the interest grows.
![]()
In german, I would say: 1 knoppix, 2 knoppixe
But since the name is in some way derived from unix, I would look at this.
Isn't it 1 unix, 2 unixes?
And therefore knoppixes.
The plural of Unix is Unices, which would make it Knoppices if you follow that same pattern.
Plethora of knoppiae??Originally Posted by outanet
Cool term but unfortunately the correct pluralization for a collection of knoppix disks is.....disks.
Disk is the noun which is pluralized, knoppix is an merely an adjective. I cannot really visualize where knoppix would be used as a noun. For instance, you do not have a knoppix (noun). You have a knoppix operating system (adjective).
Bummer.
'Knoppix' is a proper noun, and eo ipso: a noun.
A Knoppix-OS is like a Mercedes-Caravan and a Knoppix-disk is like an Addidas-shoe.
You wouldn't say: 'This is my third knoppix-os', but 'my third knoppix'.
Like 'your second Mercedes'.
I bought 20 Knoppices for the pupil in my course.
I vote for 'knoppices' to indicate the close neighbourship to unices.
But do you call it 'linuces' too?
![]()
.Originally Posted by user unknown
But "Adidas" come in pairs. If you lost the left one, wouldn't the remaining right one be an "Adida"?Or, perhaps if it's a Latin root, perhaps the pair should rightfully be "Adida", and the remaining shoe an "Adidum"
jd
I dont think i agree completly.Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
I am a "human being", therefore "human", we are all "humans", not just "beings".
ok, well what can a person who uses knoppix called?
a person who works in a garden is a gardener, but i guess i dont come close to being a knopper.
then again, thinking about it, i could be a rammer.... i work in a ram environment!
I believe Adidas is a artifact, made from 'Adi Daschner', the founder of the buisiness, and not from something latin (while 'nike' is the greek goddess of success - afaik, and therefore not spelled english/ american, but 'neeka').
A pair of Adidas, and a single Adidas.
The knoppix-user might be:
Knoppicaner.
Knoppinist.
Knoppixer.
Knoppophilic.
Or simply a Knop.
While windows-users are simply called: idiots![]()
now this is the time to make up names, and if it sounds cool, it will stick... when i had trouble thats what i do...
eg. 1= knoppix, 2=knoppixs, 3=ya mum, 4=um... , 5=hello, etc...![]()
that sounds alot like nob... and if you have a discusting minde... ehehehe...Knopwell... lets keep this innocent

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03
$15.00
Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99
Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$30.00