does it boot failsafe?
Since Knoppix 3.4 is older than the computer, it is possible that the hardware detection is not capable of identifying some piece of new hardware.
I just got a new computer, Compaq 2.6ghz with XP Home edition. The first boot device is the CD (no floppy). My 3.4 disk is tried and true, I used it on my previous machine untill the motherboard died. Video is on-board.
I tried several cheat codes;
linux26
nodma
fb800x600 ( LCD Monitor was not supported but would work in framebuffer mode on old machine)
What I get when I boot is;
Loading linux26
minurt26.gz
Ready
Then it goes to a blank screen. Any suggestions please?
does it boot failsafe?
Since Knoppix 3.4 is older than the computer, it is possible that the hardware detection is not capable of identifying some piece of new hardware.
Thankyou. That worked. Next question. How do I set the screen to 800x600?
try boot 'knoppix screeen=800x600'. Now that you know it will boot failsafe (ie almost no hardware detection), it's just a matter of checking out the various bootcodes available (press f2 for a list) to arrive at the one that will disable or properly configure whatever bit of hdware is causing problem.

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
$280.00
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00
New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE
$445.00
SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$499.99
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99