-
Moving Files from Knoppix Live to WinXP Pro
Hey, people. Just a quick question here. I'm using the new GamesKnoppix distro that was released a little while ago, and I'm trying to move a .jpg from the Knoppix desktop to My Pictures in Windows XP. Everything's mounted correctly, and I'm somewhat sure I'm doing this under Root. However, every time I try, Knoppix says it's unable to do so. Could I just get a quick hand, please?
If this is important at all, I'm using the KDE desktop manager and Konqueror to view the files on my Windows partition.
Many thanks.
-
Writing to Windows XP
Hi Girtych,
Warning! What you are doing is potentially very dangerous and can have dire consequences to the integrity of your file system IF your XP installation is located on an NTFS partition.
Mounting an NTFS partition in Read/write mode is generally NOT recommended, and Knoppix will not do it by default, since it can cause errors in the file system that will render your data inaccessible. This is specified in the Knoppix FAQ, the reading of which is suggested.
At the same time, however, it should be pointed out that there is a system called "captive-ntfs" which mounts your NTFS partition using Windows' own drivers; information on this can be found at http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/ and the application may actually have been included in the latest build of Knoppix, I wouldn't know.
I do recommend extreme care when writing to an NTFS partition from Linux.
Take a look at http://www.inside-security.de/insert_en.html which is a Knoppix-style bootable Linux, though this really belongs in the section on other live cds and distros.
Regards,
Agustin
-
Topic already covered in another post
Just realised that this topic is amply covered in the thread started 23 dic http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11736
Read carefully.
Regards,
Agustin
Similar Threads
-
By ummie4 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-23-2006, 01:43 PM
-
By vosgym in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-13-2005, 05:06 AM
-
By antigenes in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-11-2005, 12:28 PM
-
By viagrus47 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-08-2004, 04:13 AM
-
By kleptophobiac in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-06-2003, 03:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Commodore 128 Case + Keyboard + LED, C128 Computer Parts
$42.50

Peripheral Vision VINTAGE EDUMATE LIGHT PEN Atati 800/400 & COMMODORE 64 Unteste
$79.90

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW
$11.99

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller
$39.99

Commodore 64 Computer & 1541 Single Floppy Disk Drive - No PwrCrds - FOR PARTS
$160.00

Commodore 64/128 RF delete
$25.00

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA
$10.49

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800
$39.99

Commodore 64 Console Retro working Home Computer w/ Original Box
$200.00

Commodore 64 1351 Compatible Optical Mouse with Adapter (Geos etc) - USA Seller
$29.99