-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Help with a REALLY Old Machine

Originally Posted by
ewangr
Am trying to help my sister-in-law with getting Linux on an HP Vectra VL/133 (Pentium 133 Mhz with 64 Megs of RAM, 2 Gig HD, 1 Meg video card) that I added a DVD-ROM/CD drive to.
I can boot a Windows CD and a Disk Partition CD using the DVD/CD drive, but can't seem to boot either Knoppix, DSL, or SystemRescueCD. These CDs work ok on my newer machine at home, so I think they're ok. Is there some magic that folks on this forum are aware of that might explain this behavior? Is there some type of floppy bootloader I should be looking at? Other suggestions?
I've seen some old machines around that vintage that have problems booting some bootabe CD's but not others (My Pentium based system is that way), I would suggest using a boot manager that can boot from CD. I have XOSL installed on my Pentium and it works great (can boot Knoppix CDs that the computer will not boot directly). Another program that will do it too, although is less rich in features and not as nice looking (but slightly easier to setup) is Smart Boot Manager.
Similar Threads
-
By warrenite in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-02-2006, 07:25 PM
-
By Dingo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-17-2005, 02:58 AM
-
By B@se in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-25-2005, 07:23 PM
-
By tp671 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-13-2005, 11:27 PM
-
By beforewisdom in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-11-2003, 12:23 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro SYS-E302-9A Fanless Firewall Atom C3558 16GB ECC 64GB SSD 6x GbE i350
$325.00

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00