Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Wlan problems yet again.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4

    Wlan problems yet again.

    Hello.

    I just installed Knoppix to my HD, becuase Windows on that machine is driving me insane (garbled text, slower than dirt...)However, before I can use it as the computer's primary OS, I need to have a connection with my Wireless router downstairs established in Linux, so I can use our DSL.

    The wireless NIC is a Pheobe Micro USB. It is based on the AT76c505 chipset with the RFMD radio. Explicit Linux drivers for it do not exist, so I dried the generic Atmel drivers.

    The "alternate" drivers refuse to compile for me running 2.4 Kernel. However, it works under 2.6. But it does not "claim" the NIC when I plug it in.

    I believe that the "official" Atmel drivers may work, but I don't know how to install the kernel sources. Linux, of course, has no Internet connection, but I can move 64 meg to it from another machine using a thumbdrive...

    I also tried NDISwrapper, but it seems to do is copy the .inf file to /etc/ndiswrapper and nothing more.
    Is there more do it than NDISwrapper -i /netc558.inf ?

    If anyone can assist me, it would be greatly appreciated. I know I got it to work once, but I had to reinstall Linux...

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    65
    After ndiswrapper -i
    as root,from console
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    wlcardconfig
    netcardconfig

    Have Fun

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4
    Eh, that's what I tried, and it didn't reconize the adapter. I'm going out right now to buy another one to try.

    How do I install the kernel sources? Trying to compile the official Atmel sources results in hundreds of errors stemming for /usr/library... I don't know whats wrong. They will compile under 2.6, but a kernel patch is required, and patching requires the sources!

    My head hurts... People wonder why Linux isn't more widespread.

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with my wlan
    By mcshomer in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2005, 06:37 PM
  2. Wlan-Card-Problems
    By CKLM in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 08:18 PM
  3. Belkin F5D6020 wlan card problems
    By extricator71 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2004, 07:20 AM
  4. usb wlan problems
    By Rudy75 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 12:58 PM
  5. wlan problems
    By Kakalak in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 09:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple Newton MessagePad 130 PDA - Working, Clean + Batteries & Extras picture

Vintage Apple Newton MessagePad 130 PDA - Working, Clean + Batteries & Extras

$149.99



Apple iic A2S4000 vintage computer picture

Apple iic A2S4000 vintage computer

$200.00



Vintage Apple Rainbow Metal Case Emblem Logo rectangle picture

Vintage Apple Rainbow Metal Case Emblem Logo rectangle

$49.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh LC II — Recapped, Restored & Working — System 7.1, 80MB picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC II — Recapped, Restored & Working — System 7.1, 80MB

$159.00



AfterTheMac MacWireless USB 802.11g/b WiFi Adapter Vintage Apple Mac G3 G4 G5 picture

AfterTheMac MacWireless USB 802.11g/b WiFi Adapter Vintage Apple Mac G3 G4 G5

$49.99



Rare Vintage Apple Computer Promo Set Rainbow Logo Towel Polo Shirt Report Pad picture

Rare Vintage Apple Computer Promo Set Rainbow Logo Towel Polo Shirt Report Pad

$199.99



Vintage Apple FireWire Card Software Installation CD-ROM 1998 Macintosh picture

Vintage Apple FireWire Card Software Installation CD-ROM 1998 Macintosh

$19.00



Vintage Apple DVD Software 1.0 CD-ROM 1998 Original Macintosh Installation Disc picture

Vintage Apple DVD Software 1.0 CD-ROM 1998 Original Macintosh Installation Disc

$9.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99



3 Boxes-Vintage Apple Claris Macwrite MacPaint MacDraw - Sealed - NOS Rare 1988 picture

3 Boxes-Vintage Apple Claris Macwrite MacPaint MacDraw - Sealed - NOS Rare 1988

$74.99