Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Live CD for Java Developers ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    19

    Live CD for Java Developers ?

    Any remastered Knoppix or live CDs that include (1) a Java SDK [not just JRE, not gcc] and (2) a Java IDE like Eclipse and maybe even (3) Tomcat ? STUX (http://gpstudio.com/stux) is supposed to include a real SDK, but it's hardware detection doesn't seem to get along with my machines so I can't get any time with it.

    Thanks !
    rcs

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    28

    Java development live cd

    Here's the ultimate Live CD for anyone doing java programming:
    http://moe.tnc.edu.tw/~kendrew/pollix/

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    19

    Awesome !

    Whoa -- that has got to be the best tip I've received all year ! Seriously though, this is exactly what I was hoping for and more (like WAY more!). I really, really appreciate the post -- you ROCK !!! Thank you so much !

    Regards,
    rcs

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    28
    You're welcome. Yeah, Pollix saved my butt last semester. I was taking Programming II and I used Pollix on a couple of PC's at work to do my homework. The PC's ran Windows XP and I didn't have administrator rights so I could install Java on the PC's. The Pollix Distro and a simple reboot saved the day.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1
    nice bodhi... ive been trying to get my hand on a live cd dedicated to programming...

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    28
    Pollix Rocks! Like I said it saved my a$$ last semester.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    How is this CD distributed. I was thinking of making my own remaster like this but found that the java jdk is not covered under the GNU public license and is not considered open source.

    Regards,
    AJG

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    28
    It is freely distributed at the link above. I believe that it is located on a server outside of the USA. I don't question wether it is legal or not I just use it. As you have pointed out anyone could build their own distro with Java SDK if they wanted to, Pollix saves everyone the trouble of creating their own. That way people have more time to use Java instead of struggling to create their distro.

Similar Threads

  1. Live CD with Mono and Java
    By amardilo in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 09:24 AM
  2. KNOPPIX Developers wanted in South California...
    By Dave_Bechtel in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 07:11 AM
  3. Sun Java Desktop System Live Demo based on Morphix
    By eco2geek in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 03:57 PM
  4. Java
    By mystical_kakarot in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 09:20 PM
  5. java
    By johncarlson21 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2003, 03:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit picture

MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit

$399.00



Compressed Air Duster&Vacuum Cleaner, 3-In-1 150000RPM Cordless Air Blower picture

Compressed Air Duster&Vacuum Cleaner, 3-In-1 150000RPM Cordless Air Blower

$65.84



2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower picture

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower

$16.99



Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard picture

Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard

$17.99



Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles picture

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles

$53.99