-
Partitioning for Knoppix only
Hi, thanks for this great board, I decided to finally dive into Linux and for this purpose to dedicate my old Laptop, Celeron 400 Mhz 64M Ram entirely to Knoppix, that means a HD install. The live CD works without problems (with swap file) but very slow, so I definitely want it on the HD - here is my problem:
I formatted my harddisk (with windows 98 cdrom) because I thought this would be enough preparation to install Knoppix. Of course I was wrong since knoppix asks for special partitioning. So I tried it with Qparted and cfdisk, which also didnt work, it didnt write my new partitions (hda1: Linux bootable hda2: Linux swap) for some reasons, maybe I just didnt use the programs right but I dont think so - it always stayed on windows fat32.
So I went radical and wiped the complete HD with zeros, as suggested in another thread. But now of course I couldnt even start Knoppix with KDE because I needed a DOS Swap file (because of low RAM) - but no problem, there still is the shell.
So I finally tried to make partitions with fdisk, which finally worked, but still the knoppix installer says that there are not the appropriate partitions. So I am confused, what does the partitioning has to look like with fdisk so that the install is possible?
I have it something like that: /dev/hda1 bootable Linux from Cylinder 1 to Cylinder 500
/dev/hda2 Linux swap from Cylinder 501 to Cylinder 726
The HD has 6GB.
Am I gone totally wrong??? If so please tell me! I have no idea, no experience with Linux and any suggestion would be highly appreciated! Thanks!
Similar Threads
-
By bread in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-27-2006, 04:27 AM
-
By mentalalien2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-20-2004, 02:03 PM
-
By pandamonium54 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-15-2004, 04:40 AM
-
By Shrike in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-31-2004, 07:40 PM
-
By waynejkruse10 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 13
Last Post: 10-27-2003, 10:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS
$7.00

Apple iic A2S4000 vintage computer
$200.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC II — Recapped, Restored & Working — System 7.1, 80MB
$159.00

ORIGINAL PACKAGING Apple IIe Vintage Home Computer Classic Apple IIe Model
$899.00

Vintage Apple Newton MessagePad 130 PDA - Working, Clean + Batteries & Extras
$149.99

Vintage Apple USB Mouse M4848 Bondi Blue iMac G3 Hockey Puck - Tested Working
$22.99

Vintage Apple Mac OS X Version 10.1 Upgrade CD 2001
$15.00

Rare Vintage Apple Computer Promo Set Rainbow Logo Towel Polo Shirt Report Pad
$199.99

Apple cloth fabric banner iBook tangerine orange New Old Stock Vintage
$99.00

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99