Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Can't Mount hda1 from my network

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4

    Can't Mount hda1 from my network

    I'm on a network, and I'm trying to mount my harddrive on Knoppix, however, when I type in:

    mount /dev/hda1

    I'm given this message:

    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1, or too many mounted file systems

    I realize that I am mounting a harddrive with a few hundred users on it. Is this the problem? I'm new to Linnux, so I don't have an extensive knowledge yet, but I'm learning. If you could help me, that would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Can't Mount hda1 from my network

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaster
    I'm on a network, and I'm trying to mount my harddrive on Knoppix, however, when I type in:

    mount /dev/hda1

    I'm given this message:

    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1, or too many mounted file systems

    I realize that I am mounting a harddrive with a few hundred users on it. Is this the problem? I'm new to Linnux, so I don't have an extensive knowledge yet, but I'm learning. If you could help me, that would be greatly appreciated.
    What type of network? What do you mean there are a few hundred users on the hard drive? Is this drive (partition actually) that you are trying to mount actually on the computer that Knoppix is running on, or is it elsewhere on the network? Do you see a littel icon on the Knoppix desktop that says "hda1"? Can you open it by clicking that?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4
    The network is just the Novell for Windows with a few hundred clients able to access the network. The partition I'm trying to mount is the main C: drive. I need to get at the config/ folder to do a password recovery. I can't open hda1 by clicking on the icon because it isn't mounted yet.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaster
    The network is just the Novell for Windows.... I can't open hda1 by clicking on the icon because it isn't mounted yet.
    I'm not clear yet. If this is a Novell file server that you've booted Knoppix on, then you need to find out what type of file system it is. It's been about 8 years since I've managed some Netware servers (I expect there have been changes since then). At the time Netware used their own fies systems on Netware servers, and I have doubts that Knoppix can mount those. If Novell for Windows uses some sort of Windows file structure, then you should be able to mount it - I can certainly mount mine by clicking on the desktop icon.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4
    I'm pretty sure it's all windows structured. There are 8 different partitions, specified as Drives C, E, F, Z, etc. Do I need to somehow say that I want C to be mounted? I'm so confused...

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4
    This is exactly what shows up:

    mount /dev/hda1
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1, or too many mounted file systems

    How does one fix this? What exactly does it mean?

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaster
    I'm pretty sure it's all windows structured. ....?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaster
    This is exactly what shows up:

    mount /dev/hda1
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1, or too many mounted file systems

    How does one fix this? What exactly does it mean?
    Back to my last post - that last time I used Netware it was not a Microsoft compatable partition. I very much suspect this is the case here, but I'm certainly not saying I know that for a fact. I don't know what Novell for Windows is, as compared to Netware 3 or Netware 4 or Netware 5 or so on. You could easily determine the partition type a number of ways. One would be to simply check your documentation. Another would be to run DOS from a floppy and see if it can see and access the partition. Yet another would be to run partitioning software and see what the partition types are (use care and a little common sense here, look but don't make any changes with the partitioning software). See the man page on mount if you need and want more help with it, but the simple fact is I have an icon on my Knoppix desktop for every partition that Knoppix can open and I can mount that partition by clicking it.

Similar Threads

  1. HDA1 won't mount
    By jimandjeanette in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 02:50 PM
  2. KNOPPIX on hda1
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 04:29 AM
  3. Copying files/dirs from NTFS mount to network
    By DukeNukemPT in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 07:20 PM
  4. Poor man install dont mount /mnt/hda1 correctly
    By rodrigo_tomita in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-14-2003, 12:49 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2003, 08:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New picture

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New

$200.00



Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW CLAMSHELL picture

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL

$45.50



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50