Use one of the cheat codes at the boot prompt. F2 to see some of them. knoppix nodma might work out.
I am getting an error during boot. Knoppix initially sees the CD drive and HDD, giving their model ID, but after coming to the line: "Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0, it pauses for some time then the scd0 flips quickly through some other names and then I get the error: "Can't find Knoppix file ssytem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
The CD works fine in another computer so I'm thinking that the problem may with this CD drive: Mitsumi FX320M
Any diagnosis or suggestions
Use one of the cheat codes at the boot prompt. F2 to see some of them. knoppix nodma might work out.
Thanx. The discussion section was off-line and the knoppix.org info that I found was in German. So, I googled knoppix cheats and found a copy elsewhere.
atapicd did the trick and it's running -- though very slowly on this computer. It's an old PII 350 w/ 96 MB RAM and a 32X CD drive. But it's the only one with enough idle time to experiment with and it's very similar to the computer that I'm considering installing Linux on and using as a file and e-mail server and as a portal to our DSL connection.

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New
$200.00
New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94
Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Lot of 50 HPE Mellanox 655874B21 Rev B2 40G QSFP to 10G SFP Adapter G2U
$224.95