Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How to read the hard disk?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3

    How to read the hard disk?

    I read Knowing Knoppix instructions on reading the hard disk and basically it says just click on hard disk partition and wait for it to mount. There is a green triangle indicating success and then konqueror is supposed to start up.
    But I get the following message:
    "mount: I could not determine filesystem type, and none was specified"
    I know I'm missing something easy here. I got this just out of curiosity and I don't know anything.
    I have been playing around with the xmms and gimp with some backup cds. Just want to see now if I can get files off my drive to play with k3b now. So far it has been fun and I like Knoppix quite alot.
    Thanks for reading.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    What kind of hard drive? IDE? SCSI? USB? Whats on the hard disk? Windows 98? Windows 2000? Windows XP? Some thing else? What filesystem is on the hard disk? FAT16? FAT32? NTFS?
    I ask the above questions because in order for us to help you, we need more info.
    Thanks,
    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3
    Oh
    So my hard drive is scsi. It's formatted fat32 and I'm running win 98. I know that's an old os,I just never wanted to pay for upgrades. Also I've got boot magic installed but right now just the one fat32 partition.
    Not sure if this matters but I have to boot with knoppix26 because knoppix command hangs at:

    Enabling DMA acceleration for: hde [Quantum Fireball P LM30.0]

    Thats my hard drive I'm pretty sure.
    But the 2.6 kernel loads really fast and during loading it shows my format as fat32.
    I hope I gave enough info this time. Sorry for ignorance, but I don't know exactly everything which is why I am trying to learn with a live cd. Thanks!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    boot with the bootcode 'knoppix nodma' should get past the dma hangup problem. you are probably going to find the solution for your boot problem with the appropriate bootcode, press f2 for a list of available bootcodes.
    'knoppix lang=us' will start you in english, default is german.
    try 'knoppix lang=us failsafe' for starter

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for that. knoppix nodma works great.
    Now I can read hard drive. Just wondering now why dma acceleration is a prob.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    it might be that your CD and HD might need slightly diferent settings for their DMA. an auto sensing might give wrong...

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12
    I have a similar problem. Details are here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=83968#83968
    Can you guys help, please!

Similar Threads

  1. All Hard Drives are Read Only
    By Netzilla in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-19-2007, 02:46 AM
  2. unable to mount and read hard disk partitions.
    By mersonmathew in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-14-2006, 04:36 PM
  3. Knoppix can't read the hard disk filesystem type?
    By GuessWho in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 05:08 PM
  4. No DOS partition and Opened disk read-only ERROR messages :(
    By ghetto_blaster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 06:10 AM
  5. fat32 read/write on firewire disk
    By dieterw in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 06:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$157.93



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX picture

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX

$89.95



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00