Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: laptop won't recognize CD

  1. #11
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by rdaneel
    ....What is the determining factor in whether it boots from the CD or not on yours? Is there any fundamental difference in the way the OS starts to "unpack" itself, so to speak?
    I'm not certain. I don't think it has anything to do with unpacking anything or even with how the programs are structured, it seems to be failing on a more fundamental level than this, before any of it ever happens. I can tell you that my system that needs XOSL (or SBM) to boot all CD's had a real poor track record before I started using it, and would fail on more than just Knoppix. Even some DOS and related disks would not boot. It might end up being something as simple as ISO9660 vs Joliet or some other file system issue. Maybe if you build up two stacks of CD's, one that will boot and one that doesn't, you can figure it out (and, of course, maybe not). My solution was XOSL and I started working on other problems when I found that.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1
    HI,
    I have an old Dell Inspiron 3800.
    I was having an issue where it would detect my hard drive and cdrom and then hang while trying to boot the cdrom. I used the cheat code mentioned in a previous post - knoppix nodma, and it boots fine.

    Just an FYI for others.

    Thanks.


    Delian

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7
    Based on the two stacks method, I'm thinking maybe syslinux (PHLAK & others) vs. isolinux (Knoppix & others)? I was, however, able to find an old docking station for the laptop, and I can now use more than one drive, so I ended up installing Slackware instead. Thanks for all your help, though, Harry.

    R. Daneel Olivaw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. not recognize wifi usb adapter
    By jv_guano in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-19-2006, 04:51 PM
  2. Can't get Knoppix 3.4 to recognize nic
    By Kakalak in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-28-2005, 11:23 PM
  3. LS-120 not recognize
    By jeco in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 09:12 PM
  4. USB not recognize after install on HD
    By barna in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 04:46 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 03:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver picture

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver

$4.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$20.70



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90