-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
harken
I'll think on it, bfree, yet I'm not sure 100% whether to go with Debian or something else. I'm also considering MDK and RedHat.
What do you think?
That's nearly like asking a religious fanatic which is the true god!
I think unless you are interested in running enterprise products on a supported platform RedHat is useless!
My opinions of Fedora is just from random readings from various commentaries around the place, nothing has come close to convincing me to try it out yet. I think it is far too much of a beta program at the moment to really recommend to anyone.
Mandrake ... I haven't tried it in a long time. It's popularity seems to remain and I don't notice as many inane questions bouncing around about most other distros so either lots of people try and give up or it's reasonably polished.
What about Mepis, Suse/Novell and Ubuntu (Numbers 1, 3 and 5 respectively on distrowatches page hit ranking chart)? I think I'd be considering all of them first!
My personal preferences at this stage (for an installation) would be Debian, then Kanotix or I might try Ubuntu/Mepis, then Suse/Mandrake (well ok I'd probably keep finding Debian variants to use before I even got to them).
Horses for courses though, so if you can, try a few out! And even better if you can, partition your machine so you can share a home partition between two different Linux installs, so at any time you can have your current system and try out another systems without risking your main one, if you decide you like it you can switch and then install over the old one with the next one (or upgrade) you feel like trying.
Similar Threads
-
By ginny in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-18-2005, 10:08 PM
-
By Knad in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-10-2004, 09:48 PM
-
By kidclueless in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-20-2004, 06:14 AM
-
By blackout in forum General Support
Replies: 15
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 08:07 AM
-
By ZeRo in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-29-2003, 10:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New
$180.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$33.94

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001
$14.90

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$689.00

CheckPoint 10G Dual-Port SFP+ Network Module M4E210G2SPI9-XR-CP2
$45.00