Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: drbd/enbd ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2

    drbd/enbd ?

    Hello all,

    I am actually installing a SMB/dns/dhcp-server based on KNOPPIX. It is working very well - so far. Until now i did not need to remaster, because everything I needed was on the CD ( btw : you made a great job, thank you Klaus Knopper ) .

    But now it seems that I will come to point on which I need to remaster : has someone any experience with enbd or drbd ( and maybe heartbeat ) on KNOPPIX-live-CD ?

    I prefer _not_ to remaster KNOPPIX ( because I guess a 'knoppix myconfig=scan' will work with every KNOPPIX-CD that will come out in the future ), but I guess it is needed in this particular case.

    Thanks for your help


    Schlafmuetze

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Sorry, no experience with the mirrored FSs or heartbeat on linux.
    Are you sure you need to make a HA cluster? I was involved in setting up a 2 node HA cluster built with Oracle on HP-UX back in 2000 (this cost upwards of $150,000)and unless there is a real business demand for it (which there was, every 8 hour shift of downtime was about $280,000 lost), a true HA cluster is overkill for DNS/DHCP/SMB.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2
    I do not really need a HA-cluster. But if you are using cheap server hardware ( like I do ) , it makes sense to have a standby solution. Shure, you can even do something with rsync and ssh to mirror data to a second machine but a real 'pretty' solution would it be to do that with enbd or drbd.

    I do not really need a HA-cluster. But mirroring the complete data disk on a second machine will make me sleep much better . With a solution like this, I can use really cheap hardware for the server. If hardware breaks, I take my usb-stick from the server, and restart the stand-by machine ( with the mirrored data-disc inside ) with the server-usb-stick. After a 'knoppix config=scan' this machine should look like the original one.

    Its just like I said - especially if you are using cheap hardware a solution like this makes sense.

    The main question for me is : is it a problem to change the kernel on a Knoppix-live-CD without getting too much hustle ? I have not much experience in compiling kernels, so I think its better to ask before runing into unsolvable ( and time consuming ) problems .

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 01:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR picture

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR

$1100.00