Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Custom Install Knoppix 3.7

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282

    Custom Install Knoppix 3.7

    I have installed Knoppix 3.7 by booting from the CD and using knoppix-installer. However this has
    installed everything in / as ext3 and the locale is in german. I have changed kde to english
    but I would lreally like to create / on /dev/hda11 and /home on /dev/hda12 both as Reiser FS.

    Is there a way to do this or could someone point me to further documentation? Thanks in advance.
    Does knoppix support Reiser? I'm sure it does just wonder why ext3 was chosen.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    42
    The knoppix-installer reads a file called .config (or something like that) from your /home/knoppix directory. You can modify this file to your needs (changing filesystem and partitions should be pretty easy).

    The installer will tell you the configuration it uses just before knoppix is finally copied to your harddisk.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    You can change the language in your installation to english by adding 'lang=us' to the 'append=' line in /etc/lilo.conf then re-run lilo to implement the changes.
    You can add your /hda11 & /hda12 partitions by first creating & formating the partitions with qtparted, then edit /etc/fstab to add the partitions. There is apost about this topic on the Kanotix forum: http://kanotix.mipooh.net/viewforum....823caf88dae7b6
    ext3 is a journalized version of the ext2 linux file system format; it is what Knoppix uses as a file format for HD installation. Kanotix uses Reiser, I'm not sure if there are any significant advantages to one over the other.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    I'm not sure if there are any significant advantages to one over the other.
    Some people say that ReiserFS is a little bit faster than ext3 - but the chance of losing data is said to be higher, too. ReiserFS is definitly the younger FS - it has improved a lot from it's early beginnings, so it probably is an alternative to ext3 (otherwise distributions like SuSE wouldn't use it). However when it comes to the safety of my data I'm very conservative - so I'm prefering ext3.

Similar Threads

  1. How do I Install a custom fire in a Knoppix HD installation?
    By Arthur Poirot in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2006, 12:44 AM
  2. Install A Custom 2.6 Kernel (EZ Way)
    By knoppixusr in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 08:07 PM
  3. I need help creating a custom bootable CD,auto install to HD
    By cobra133 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 06:34 AM
  4. Custom Knoppix from Model-k
    By gizmu in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2003, 12:04 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2003, 08:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$79.99



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$749.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL picture

VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL

$169.00



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00