Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: changing /home directory to another partition

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1

    changing /home directory to another partition

    i just installed knoppix to my hd. my partitions look like this:

    /dev/hda5/ ext3
    /dev/hda6/ swap
    /dev/hda7/ ext3

    my intention was for hda7 to be my /home directory, as i was told it is good to have it seperate from the main linux partition. but knoppix automatically made my home folder in hda5.

    how do i go about changing this?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    42

    Re: changing /home directory to another partition

    First boot with your knoppix-CD, because I don't now how Linux reacts if you move /home while it is running.

    Then mount your root-Partition (cd into it) and move /home somewhere else (e.g. /home_save). Now type 'mkdir home', 'mount /dev/hda7 home' and move your directorys from /home_save to /home.

    The last step is to edit /etc/fstab and add the following line:

    /dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2


    There are probably easier ways, but I think that this should work.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14
    Hi Folks,

    just for confirmation:
    it is working fine this way also when you booted from hdd and logged on with root because root home is usually not under /home but under /root.

    cu
    McGyver

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1
    I just went through this myself and I think I found an easier way..I went to the KNOPPIX menu, picked Configure, and chose the option to create a persistent home directory. It prompted me about whether I wanted to use the entire partition I directed it to (to which I said yes - that's what I created it for), it formatted the partition, then it told me it transferred my home directory to that partition. Done.

    Is it really that easy? Or am I missing something?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14

    yes it is

    that easy with the assumption that there is not already data on that partition! because a format is a one way ticket (o:

    cu
    Oliver

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2
    With other distros I have managed to mount my new partitions under /mnt/tmp5 /mnt/tmp6 etc and did a 'cp -r /home /mnt/tmp5'
    then I could just edit my fstab like this
    /dev/hda5 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

    The only problem here was that knoppix seems to make its own fstab every now and then. I'm using Knoppix 3.7 and I haven't yet been able to edit my fstab. Tried to make a decent mountpoint for my usb-storage devices but they disappeared and now they are mounted under /mnt/sda1 etc.

    Konqueror also gets stuck every time I click the /mnt/. It's just like it couldn't find anything under /mnt/

    This is my fstab
    /dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb_stick vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda2 none swap defaults 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0

    ... and I would like to have it like this:

    /dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/hda2 none swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda5 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hda6 /tmp ext3 defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda7 /A ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0

    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0

    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb_stick vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    #THESE WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE
    /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb_stick2 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/sdc1 /mnt/usb_drive vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/sdd1 /mnt/mp3_player vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/cflash_mdrive vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sd_mmc vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/sdc1 /mnt/mstick vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/sdd1 /mnt/smedia vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0

    I would appreciate some help on this matter :P

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    205
    Still having these problems? Do you get error messages when you edit /etc/fstab?

    -- Ed

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by jhellen
    Konqueror also gets stuck every time I click the /mnt/. It's just like it couldn't find anything under /mnt/
    I have had the same problem. I think this is related, too: writing to a mostly-empty 170 GB hda4 partition from a Windows machine using Samba, I get a "disk full" message! As I'm transferring files, I check the used 1-MB blocks on the partitions using #df -m ... and AS I'M transferring files to HDA4, the number of 1-MB blocks used ON HDA1 increases!!! Either #df is not reporting correctly, or /mnt/hda4 is really mapped to hda1!

    Here are the relevant lines from my fstab at present:

    /dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/hda2 none swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    /dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0

    The drive is a 200 GB Western Digital.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_ed
    Still having these problems? Do you get error messages when you edit /etc/fstab?

    -- Ed

    Mr. Ed,

    I can get around the editing problem of the FSTAB file. My problem is ... when I reboot, knoppix REBUILDS the file removing my changes. This is a PIA!

    Radnor

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1

    /home directory regeneration

    I am also attempting to move my home directory to a different partition. I'm able to successfully fix fstab. But, the original home directory won't die. I delete and it regenerates the home directory on the next boot. So, I'm left with two home directories with identiical files and thus the same problem. If I delete a user's folder from the original home directory, then it deletes from the new home directory also (on a seperate partition). Is there a knoppix configuration I've missed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Persistent Home Directory
    By jm47048 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2006, 11:59 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2005, 11:50 AM
  3. Persistent home directory
    By Geof in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 03:55 PM
  4. home - directory on hdd
    By DieselDriver in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 03:20 AM
  5. Moving my home directory to another partition?
    By stukennedyuk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 02:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco 10-3388-01 SFP-10/25G-CSR-S SFP28 CSR 10G/25G MMF 850nm LC Transceiver picture

Cisco 10-3388-01 SFP-10/25G-CSR-S SFP28 CSR 10G/25G MMF 850nm LC Transceiver

$105.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



CISCO SFP-GE-Z , 1000BASE-ZX SFP 1550nm 70km DOM picture

CISCO SFP-GE-Z , 1000BASE-ZX SFP 1550nm 70km DOM

$69.00



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR

$47.99



HPE P10109-B21 MCX512F-ACAT 10/25GbE Dual-Port SFP28 NIC P10107-001 P12608-001 picture

HPE P10109-B21 MCX512F-ACAT 10/25GbE Dual-Port SFP28 NIC P10107-001 P12608-001

$100.00