Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Problems erasing HDD data using the Live CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hants, England
    Posts
    3

    Problems erasing HDD data using the Live CD

    I am using the 3.3 Live CD to access my PC's second HDD.
    I cannot persuade Win98SE to see the disk, but Knoppix can see it - no problem.
    I would like to delete the data thereon or format the drive.
    Even though I have changed the Read-only flag for the drive/partition, Knoppix is unable to delete the data.
    I have retrieved all the data I need and want to clear it down before disposing of the drive.

    Moderator: Sorry . I couldn't find my earlier message so used the notification email to find it. I posted a reply (which appeared in the 'General Support' forum) before reading the comments there about posting in the right forum.

    Echo

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    164

    Re: Problems erasing HDD data using the Live CD

    Quote Originally Posted by echobeach
    I would like to delete the data thereon or format the drive.
    Even though I have changed the Read-only flag for the drive/partition, Knoppix is unable to delete the data.
    I have retrieved all the data I need and want to clear it down before disposing of the drive.
    You don't need to delete anything, just format the partition and it will all be gone!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: Problems erasing HDD data using the Live CD

    Quote Originally Posted by bfree
    Quote Originally Posted by echobeach
    I would like to delete the data thereon or format the drive.
    Even though I have changed the Read-only flag for the drive/partition, Knoppix is unable to delete the data.
    I have retrieved all the data I need and want to clear it down before disposing of the drive.
    You don't need to delete anything, just format the partition and it will all be gone!
    No it won't if a drive is just formated then even basic file recovery software can get to the data.

    This command will zero oout the partition (I think you'll have to rebuild the partition.)
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb1(or whatever the drive name is)
    To completly erase the drive use, (I know the drive must be rebuilt)
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb(once again, place the drive name here)

    After wards uses something like qtparted to rebuild.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    164

    Re: Problems erasing HDD data using the Live CD

    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    Quote Originally Posted by bfree
    Quote Originally Posted by echobeach
    I would like to delete the data thereon or format the drive.
    You don't need to delete anything, just format the partition and it will all be gone!
    No it won't if a drive is just formated then even basic file recovery software can get to the data.

    This command will zero oout the partition (I think you'll have to rebuild the partition.)
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb1(or whatever the drive name is)
    To completly erase the drive use, (I know the drive must be rebuilt)
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb(once again, place the drive name here)

    After wards uses something like qtparted to rebuild.
    Yes, if you want to erase any chance of data recovery you will need to do a lot more then just formatting the partition, but you will also have to do more then just dd if=/dev/zero, preferably at least repeated passes of dd if=/dev/random.

    First thing to note is that echobeach said he wanted to delete the data OR format the drive. Secondly unless you want to destroy any chance someone has of recovering what you had previously on the disk you can just format and not bother doing any of this.

    If your selling the disk to a stranger though, unless you are sure there could be nothing private on the disk it probably is worth trashing the data off the drive first.

Similar Threads

  1. Live skeleton DVD to contain backed up data
    By wired in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 04:29 AM
  2. Video Problems on Boot - v 3.8.2 Live CD
    By richb01 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-2005, 11:46 PM
  3. Knoppix live CD and data recovery help needed!
    By comfortably numb in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2005, 09:09 AM
  4. Data Loss and Saving Problems
    By djbjrca in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 03:01 AM
  5. KNOPPIX DATA BACKUP problems
    By jchun in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 04:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New picture

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New

$200.00



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



For Cisco SFP-10G-T-X Transceiver Multi-Rate 1G/2.5G/5G/10G SFP+ to RJ-45 Module picture

For Cisco SFP-10G-T-X Transceiver Multi-Rate 1G/2.5G/5G/10G SFP+ to RJ-45 Module

$66.31



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99