Do "dmesg" at a terminal and see if the drive shows up during booting, and if there is any other info there about
the slave drive.
Is the drive recognized in win?
I have Knoppix 3.7. I recently installed a second hard drive on IDE channel 0 set as slave. Before hard drive install Knoppix worked fine and the hdd icon was on the KDE. After second hdd install Knoppix does not show hdd icons on KDE. I also tried to copy tohd=/dev/hda1 and when knoppix tries to copy I get the message /dev/hda1 is not mountable.
some sytem info;
IDE 0=C and D drives windows98 FAT32
IDE 1=CDrom
Knoppix worked fine with one hdd and was able to copy to hda1.
Do "dmesg" at a terminal and see if the drive shows up during booting, and if there is any other info there about
the slave drive.
Is the drive recognized in win?
Thanks for your reply eon. Both hda1 and hdb1 show up during boot ,but when KDE comes up there are no hdd icons on the desktop. Windows does recognize both drives. I have decided to purchase a USB drive enclosure and install the second hdd there for my home and swap files. I had no problems with only one hdd installed and was able to copy knoppix to hda1 and boot knoppix from hd.
Sometimes usb is a little tricky also.
If the only problem is not having a desktop icon ( I'm not running 3.7 ) then you could try
creating one. Knoppix usually sets up /etc/fstab for you. Just right click on the desktop
select create new device (from the menu that right clicking displays) and then select the correct device
from the device tab under properties.

Supermicro CSE-826 2U Server Chassis W/X10DRH-C 2x E5-2620 V3 128GB RAM 2x 1280W
$499.99
HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD
$249.99
HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM
$289.99
Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00
Supermicro Super Server 1029U-TN10RT Dual Xeon Silver 4210 - 10-Bay NVMe Rack
$500.00
HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC
$750.00
1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00
New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS
$179.85
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00