-
Problem with resolution.
Running Knoppix 3.7 on Dell system. On bootup appears to have detected my monitor and video card properly -
- Dell 300 15" monitor supporting 1024x768 on down
- System has Intel 82865G graphics controller card which supports i810
Yet I can not get a resolution above 600x480 on bootup.
I have tried several of the cheat codes to no-avail.
Does anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks
-
I have the same problem with my Toshiba laptop and have not been able to figure it out. I can't go higher than 800x600, which doesn't fill the screen. On bootup, it detects the screen and video chipset and says "using modes 1024x768, 800x600, 640x480, but I can't access 1024x768.
-
Resolution
I actually tried the knoppix disk in several other computer today and had no problem with it detecting resolution one of them was new e-machian the other was a three year old dell server. I am going to try one of the cheat codes that says not to detect hardware and force it.
-
Resolution
Well I tried the cheat code init 2 and then went back into gui using init 5 still no go. However when I went back to command line "init 2" again I noticed an error message that states "Starting X11 [drm:drm_init] *ERROR* Cannot initialize the agpgart module". Googled the message and found a number of threads that seemed to indicate this might be the problem. I am kind of a newbie so the workarounds where beyond me at this time and it sounded as if it my require kernel or module recompile. To bad, I mean it is not a total lost but I just can't use it at work to the extent I would like.
-
yo
having same problem. using toshiba tecra laptop. i cant do higher res then 800x600
anyone any help? thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have had success on laptops with the cheatcode
knoppix xmodule=fb fb=1024x768
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Resolution

Originally Posted by
lsharrahs
Well I tried the cheat code init 2 and then went back into gui using init 5 still no go. However when I went back to command line "init 2" again I noticed an error message that states "Starting X11 [drm:drm_init] *ERROR* Cannot initialize the agpgart module". Googled the message and found a number of threads that seemed to indicate this might be the problem. I am kind of a newbie so the workarounds where beyond me at this time and it sounded as if it my require kernel or module recompile. To bad, I mean it is not a total lost but I just can't use it at work to the extent I would like.
agpgart has to do with video acceleration, shouldn't affect resolution. I was not able to get video accel to work on my (older) HP pavilion with the 2.4 kernel, however it would work with the 2.6 kernel.
-
Will try this tomorrow nite at work did not bring the disk in with me tonite. Will post results tomorrow.
-
Senior Member
registered user
stuck in 640x480
I'm having the same exact problem.
I'm booting a remastered compactflash knoppix 3.4 (from 3 years ago) with a Dell Dimension B110 (~2.5 GHz desktop less than 2 years old), and can't boot into any resolution other than 640x480.
I suspect that the driver for the newer integrated graphics card is not included in the older knoppix distro?
If that is the case (and if there is no cheatcode workaround) how can I load a newer driver and use 1024x768?
I see the following during knoppix hardware autoconfig:
video is intel corp. |82865G integrated graphics Device, using XFree86(i810) Server
monitor is GVC05ae, H:30-54 v:50-90
using modes "800x600" "640x800"
Starting X11...[drm:drm_init] *Error* Cannot initialize the agpgart module
-
Junior Member
registered user
RE: stuck in 640x480
Knoppix 3.4 does not seem to have drivers that handle the integrated intel graphics chips (82865,82845), especially in the dell machines.
Knoppix 5.x handles them fine - newer drivers with the Xorg X server I think.
Similar Threads
-
By pic16f84a in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-27-2006, 12:13 PM
-
By amila in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-11-2004, 06:47 AM
-
By focalpoint in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-04-2004, 10:55 PM
-
By Joe999 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-23-2004, 10:46 PM
-
By MasterN64 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$90.00

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read
$199.99

Original 1998 Apple PowerBook G3 Fold-Out Promo Brochure Poster Vintage Mac
$31.00

Vintage APPLE MACINTOSH II Desktop PC EMPTY CASE & Power Supply Only UNTESTED
$39.90

Vintage Apple Mac OS 9 Retail Box 1999 Sherlock 2 Original CD Manuals
$50.00

Apple Macintosh 512K Vintage Compact Desktop Computer Classic Mac
$197.00

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON **
$99.99

APPLE MACINTOSH SE M5011 1986 VINTAGE DESKTOP COMPUTER POWERS ON DISPLAY WORKS
$159.99

Vintage Motorola MACSS XC68000L Pre-Production Engineering Sample CPU (1980)
$699.95