Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: knx-hdinstall "Phantom of the OS?" where is it?

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Penarth, Wales
    Posts
    13
    Are /boot and /proc partitions or directories?

    Anything with a forward slash is usually a directory, but that dosn't seem to fit with what your saying.

  2. #12
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by WilyPython
    Are /boot and /proc partitions or directories?
    Ok. i see - it's a little bit confusing if you just arrived from the windows world.

    In Linux you mount partitions to directorys. The root partition for example is mounted to / (that's why it is called root). The boot partition is mounted to the directory /boot (if there is no boot partition /boot is just a directory in your root partition). An /home partition (if you've got one) is mounted to /home...

    I think you've got the idea.

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Penarth, Wales
    Posts
    13
    I'm almost on the same page with you here . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Rumo
    In Linux you mount partitions to directorys.
    Now I know stalions mount mares, but I suspect Linux's interpretation of 'mount' is a bit different

  4. #14
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    42
    Ok, I'll try to give an explanation for you. Not so easy for a non-native speaker...

    Mounting a filesystem (or partition) means attaching it to the file hierarchy (directory tree). So if the partition you want to use as /home is mounted, it is attached to the /home directory.

    I hope this helps.

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Penarth, Wales
    Posts
    13
    Hummmmm???

    I think I had better go off and do some reading about this 'mounting' stuff. Once I've got that sorted I think I'll be ready to start.

    As it is, thanks to you Rumo I've come a long way from searching for an install program that wasn't there LOL!

    I think I've hogged you and this thread long enough for one night, so thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. will the "Remaster From HDInstall How To" work wit
    By metavoid in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-31-2004, 11:13 PM
  2. "permission denied" for knx-hdinstall?
    By three eyes open in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 01:06 AM
  3. "Connection Reset by Peer" or "hang"
    By oreo in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
  4. "Foreign" drive formats and "dd" command
    By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
  5. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R640  8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU

$315.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99