Just do: sudo dpkg -i packagename.deb
BTW: What's the package?
Can you find a .deb here: http://www.apt-get.org/
I have looked high and low, found pieces but nothing comprehensive about installing rpm's using apt. I am familiar with rpm but not apt. I decided to install Knoppix 3.7 on my hard drive. All went well with the install and I am quite impressed thus far. There is a major, but very pleasant, difference in apt as opposed to rpm. It may be because I don't know where to go yet for apt based packages, i.e. rpmfind, so I may be looking in all the wrong places. Specifically, i have found a small application that I would like to try out but it is only in rpm format. So what I get thus far is I can use alien to convert the rpm to a deb. Then I 'THINK?' I have to alter the apt sources file for apt to include a directory on my local hard drive. Then, if I understand this correctly, I can apt-get the alien converted package(being careful to put it in my sources listed local directory) and it will find it becuse I have altered the apt config to look locally for packages. Is this normal usage for apt/knoppix. I don't see a command line option for apt-get install to tell it to look locally.
My apologies if this is addressed in another thread, I have looked but I can't find it.
Thanks.
Just do: sudo dpkg -i packagename.deb
BTW: What's the package?
Can you find a .deb here: http://www.apt-get.org/
Thanks for the reply. The package will allow you to create an ascii flowchart . I am in a bioinformatics program which emphasizes Perl ... they want us to flowchart our programs. I have looked at Kivio but it does stupid things like refuse to line up the connectors between different size boxes, and other things, so I just decided to go simple.
Sorry for being obtuse but I am hung up on the apt sources thing. Will the command you list read from a local directory. For example, I have downloaded the rpm into a temp directory in my home folder. The command you show wouldn't look there by default, I would have to update the apt config file to add this directory...correct? Also, I only see http and ftp type entries in the apt config file, can you add just a regular old directory?
Sorry for my confusion....![]()
I think you might want to read this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2638
dpkg -i package.deb installs a single deb from the directory where you run the command, unless you specify a path like: dpkg -i /home/jsweatte/tmp/package.deb
The apt sources.list is used to get packages over the net. If I wanted to install, say nano, I would do:
su (to become root [which you probably knew])
dselect update (to update my local cache on what's out there)
apt-cache search nano (self explanatory)
apt-cache show nano (to look at the packagedescription)
apt-cache policy nano (to see which version I'd get from which repository)
apt-get install nano -s (to simulate the install with the -s switch)
apt-get install nano (to install it)
If I wanted to get rid of it later I would do:
apt-get remove nano (to just remove it)
or:
apt-get --purge remove nano (to remove all it's config files as well)
I'll take a look at the link. Thanks for the help. I think you've explained it clearly.
Joel
Your welcome.
PS: If you want a GUI for package handling, apt-get install synaptic , or have a look at kpackage which is already installed.
You may also find this brief summary useful: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14977
I have installed a RPM using APT from a local directory.
I APPRECIATE THE QUICK RESPONSE AND HELPFUL GUIDANCE.

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00
New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00
Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99
$280.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99